ThermoWorks ThermaQ dual channel alarm thermocouple thermometer

Chris Conro

TVWBB Fan
I have been a long-time user and fan of the Thermapen, and I also have the ChefAlarm by ThermoWorks. Both are great and actually, very effective when used together. The ChefAlarm also works well for smokers, since you can get an air probe and grate clip to monitor the temperature of either rack inside the WSM, and it has alarm settings for both high and low temperatures, meaning you can set a target window of whatever width you desire for the cooker temp and be alerted if it drifts astray. You can also use a meat probe inserted into your food, to keep an eye on its temperature without lifting the lid. One downside of the ChefAlarm, though, is that it only has one probe channel, so in order to do this, you have to switch back and forth between which probe is plugged into the unit. Not a big deal... I know there are other thermometer brands like Maverick that have units with dual-probe inputs (and remote capabilities), and both of those sound like great features to have. I am sure those units also have good accuracy and reliability, since they have such a following, but I thought I'd mention a seemingly fairly new product I found from TW because there were no results on the forum when I searched for it.

I was snooping their site a couple days ago and found a product they are listing as "new" called the ThermaQ. This is a fairly beefy unit, with IP67 seal rating, rubberized case, and K-type thermocouple probe inputs for high accuracy. It has a simple interface with only 4 buttons. Both probe channels have alarms for high and low temperatures. It also displays the overall min and max temperatures for each channel during that session, and has a backlight. No timer like the ChefAlarm, and no remote capabilities. They are selling it bundled in kits that come with various probe types specialized for sous vide, deep frying, and of course, Q'ing. Other probes are also available, including some that can withstand extremely high temps. It's a bit pricey, I won't argue that, but they are currently including a free TimeStick with orders over $99. This freebie kinda put me over the edge and I decided to buy a kit, so once I receive it and get a chance to play with it a little, I will report back with what I think of it.

I'm not a shill for ThermoWorks, btw, just a fan of the brand, as I know a lot of folks here are. I also noticed nobody else had posted about this item, so I thought I'd bring something new to the table!

Cheers,

Chris

(P.S. I did not include any links or photos because I'm still a noob here and don't want to overstep any bounds I have yet to fully learn.) :)

Last edited:
Links and pics are ok and usually appreciated IMO, especially when you provide a (subsequent ) review.

Links and pics are ok and usually appreciated IMO, especially when you provide a (subsequent ) review.

Thanks for the feedback, gents. I placed the order directly from ThermoWorks on April 8 and received the shipment from FedEx on the 11th. When it arrived, I was actually already in the process of cooking on the WSM and on my kettle at the same time, so I got to put it to use right away. Afterwards, I gave it a couple of quick tests to see how it was comparing to my other thermometers.

First of all, I ordered the ThermaQ Kit that includes a high temp air probe as well as a penetration probe for inserting into the meat. I already own a ChefAlarm by ThermoWorks, and I have these same types of probes for it, however the ThermaQ uses K-type thermocouple probes, while the Pro-Series Probes from ThermoWorks use thermisters. This kit was bundled at $208, and the order included a free $25 TimeStick timer, which is a nice unit in itself.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/therma_q.html?

What came in the box: ThermaQ unit, rugged rubber housing, high temp air probe, "smokehouse" penetration probe, grate clip for air probe, cheapo China carrying case. There are also clear reusable cases for the probes, but those do not fit inside the black carrying case. Everything you see here, however, does fit inside the case.
17124363732_a3e8e15831_b.jpg

This is the TimeStick that was included for free since my order was over $99. It also has a magnet on the back and comes with a neck lanyard with quick release buckle (not in the photo). The one they sent me is yellow, but they come in multiple colors. The buttons are a little too hard to press for my liking, especially since it has a locking feature if you're worried about an accidental press.
16938360820_1f04b7ce06_b.jpg

The rubber case has a kickstand and there is an extremely strong magnet molded into the case.
16939731059_e687f9bdca_b.jpg

This is what the unit looks like "booted." If anyone is familiar with FLUKE meters that come with these cases, this is the same concept.
17125920935_f03ecf3395_b.jpg

There are only 4 buttons. One button for power on/off and to activate the backlight; one button to choose which temp alarm is being adjusted; and up/down buttons to adjust the alarm settings as well as the volume.
The unit claims an IP67 seal rating, meaning it would survive being submerged under 1 meter of water for at least an hour, and that fine dust (ash) cannot get into the enclosure.
16938382210_54236c0f25_b.jpg

And here is the unit with the probes plugged in and powered on. I fiddled with the probes so that both would be sticking into the air and not touching the table or their own cords. The photo was taken shortly after adjusting them, and the temps hadn't quite stabilized yet.
16939738239_536766ecbd_b.jpg

The unit keeps track of the maximum and minimum readings for each probe during a cooking session. There are also low temp and hi temp alarms, which are adjustable in tenths of a degree F. This precision is nice for certains applications of a high end thermometer, but BBQ isn't one of them, and it takes quite a while to change the setting from say, 32 to 300. But once the alarm settings are dialed in, you will be alerted from great distances (at the highest volume) if the reading goes outside of range. The volume is adjustable and can be muted.

Last edited:
The tip of the penetration probe certainly means business!
16918503517_31a4f54afa_b.jpg

Which is why it comes encased in this. :)
17125293831_d74d3f31b6_b.jpg

A comparison of the ThermoWorks Pro-Series penetration probe vs the ThermoWorks thermocouple smokehouse penetration probe.
16939705959_564579f75d_b.jpg

And the same comparison of the air temp probes.
16939713119_ef998d6116_b.jpg

In each case, the probe cables are longer and the steel braided sheath is noticeably thicker. Besides accuracy, one of the advantages of a thermocouple thermometer is the variety of probes that will work with it. There are hundreds of choices for measuring air temps, surface temps, for inserting into meats, ... http://thermoworks.com/products/probe/

The last photo I have is of my ThermoWorks family, all agreeing happily with one another.
16938148808_b42439fea3_b.jpg

I have not tested this new meter in an ice bath or in boiling water, but I have checked the Thermapen in both of those situations, recently, so I'm confident everything is well calibrated. The ThermaQ also came with a calibration certificate from a 3rd party lab, showing that it matched the reference temperatures to the tenth of a degree at 212F and 1832F. Now if only I can get my grill that hot... :eek:

Is this kind of accuracy required for any type of cooking, let alone BBQ? Probably not. What I feel like I am getting here, above all else, is reliability and confidence. That's what I was hoping for in a thermometer, confidence that what it says on the display is the actual temperature being measured; and reliability that I won't have to worry about the probe cables getting mangled easily, or the unit not functioning from getting ashy or rained on. I hope that's what I got, but time will tell.

Last edited:
Great post with great info. I have been considering buying a mav or a thermoworks 8060 since i'm new to smokin, and recently heard the 8060 will be discontinued, and it would be replaced with the thermaQ. I was leaning towards the Q and think i will pull the trigger next week. Thermoworks has a very good reputation for quality and accuracy so i feel confident that i would be getting a great product. Please keep us updated.

Brian,
The 8060 looks like a good unit as well, and you can get a good deal on one now before it's discontinued. A couple of differences to be aware of are the battery life (50 hours normal operation for the 8060, 3000 hours for the Q), the splash/rain proof seal on the Q that the 8060 doesn't have, and the display differences (the Q displays all of the current/min/max/alarm settings for both channels all of the time, the 8060 only displays some of this and you have to press buttons to toggle information). Also, the Q has hi and low alarms for both channels while the 8060 only has alarm on channel 1.

I'm liking mine so far!

Thanks chris! Great info. I'm definately gonna get the thermaQ. I've had my 18.5 kettle for about 7 years and just this year learned i could smoke on it. Albeit with the size i feel limited as to what i can smoke on it. Planning on getting a wsm towards fall time. I currently dont have a quality temp gauge. Just an oven thing i picked up from the grocery. So i'm looking forward to getting a good one. I've been a cook for 23 or 24 years so i have some knowledge with ribs doneness. Smoked em twice so far and the 2nd batch was by far better than the first.
Everytime i read posts on this forum i learn something new so i am so grateful to have the knowledge and experience from the members available to me. Once i get the thermaQ my next smoke will be pork butt. I plan on soaking up as much info as i can between now and then. I think i got some of the basic understand for it and i like to keep it simple until i have a couple runs at it. Thanks again

Back