Wiring and attaching blower

Darryl B

Hi guys,

My heatermeter is up and running and registered successfully etc however I'm having a bit of trouble getting the blower to work.

If I'm reading the wiring guide right, I attach the black wire of the blower to the blue wire of a cat5 and the red wire of the blower to the light blue / blue white of the cat5. When I do this the blower doesn't seem to do anything.

Is it enough to simply wrap the ends of the wires around each other for the purposes of testing? I've tried a few times using different wires (including rj11 telephone one with only 2 wires in the middle) but with the same result.

My soldering on the build is a little amateur but the rest of it all seems to work ok.

Some pics:

NB: While debugging I had the ethernet for the RPI disconnected but I can't see this making any difference.

Am I missing something obvious? Should the blower actually be doing anything at this point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D

It looks like you're powering the unit via the Micro USB port on the Raspberry Pi. This supplies 5v, which is enough to power the Pi and the HM board, but in order for the fan to work, you need to use a 12v power supply to barrel jack on the HM board.

CAUTION: You must only use ONE power source, so be sure to disconnect the 5v micro usb cable from the RasPi before connecting the 12v to the HM board.

Back