Question About Clay Saucer

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
Following some of the recommendations I've read here I got a 14 inch clay saucer for my 18.5 WSM. I was planning on using it without the water pan to get a little more clearance between my heat sinc and the charcoal, but it does not sit on the brackets. Does anyone that does this have a suggestion to make this fit?

I did this mod last year. I bought the brinkman charcoal pan cheap from Amazon and set the saucer in that. The brinkman pan is half the size of the weber one and flat on the bottom. I love it. Wish I would have done it sooner. If you want to get crazy like Harry soo. Take yourheat deflector off the bottom of your smoker and wrap that baby in foil. Lose the water pan and set heat deflector on brackets. I have never tried this but harry has and some say he is a decent pitmaster. ��

I hadn't heard of this. I was wondering if I just bend the brackets out slightly it would allow me to set the saucer on them. The saucer is just slightly smaller in diameter than the water pan.

I foil my water pan then the clay saucer, set the water pan in then the saucer. setup works for me.
BillMc

I wouldn't bend the brackets ( you might want to go back to the original position )
You have a good 1/4" of thread showing on the 4 bolts, so remove one at a time and add a few metal washers tween the bracket and the body.
That should shim you out enough so the saucer sits securely.

Tim

I have the old style WSM and my 14" clay pot base fits perfect in that pan. I'm talking about the old style shallow pan and not the deeper model that comes with the current 18.5" WSM. I don't know if you can order the old style pans or not, but you might call Weber and ask.

Hey JR. I have an 18" wsm. I did this mod. before I lit the first fire in it. I bought 4 simson tie straps from Lowes They are in the lumber dept, where the deck hardware is located. They are 12" long w/ alot of small holes, and a couple 1/2"holes. Using the bottom screws in the existing bracket. Remove the screws and slip the strap behind the grill bracket using one of the 1/2"holes in the strap.Reinsert one of the screws temporarily to mark the strap at the height of the bottom of the saucer. I lowered mine down. Bend all 4 straps the same measurement to 90*. Re Insert all screws tighten down. It feels a little flimsy but it holds the saucer fine. The only thing that might be a PIA is if you want to use the bowl, you will have to trim straps here are some pics. Hope this works for you.

Thanks for the tip Alan. I'm not that handy, believe me. I was able to find a 14.5 inch saucer so I'm going to try that.

Many of this site talk about using the Brinkmann Water Pan as a replacement. When looking online I see there are two sizes of pans from Brinkmann. The first is 13 1/2" and it is called their water pan. Then there is a 15" that is actually the charcoal pan. Which one are you all using? About a $14 difference in price between them.

Back