Type of Tomatoes for sauces

NicClair

Hello,

It is fast becoming planting season around here. I wanted to spend some time this year learning the art of making sauces. That with the fact that I must go over board on everything I do, I wanted to grow as many of the ingredients I could my self. My question is what variety of tomato plants should I grow. Does one or two varieties work best in sauces. Most likely I will use some fresh and can most of them to use as I need to make sauce over the next year. I don't know if it matters however I was thinking of making a basic "original" style, a bourbon, and then one using some home brew as well.

Thank you for your advice.

-nic

I prefer San Marzano for sauce but Roma is a close second IMHO.

http://www.tomatodirt.com/san-marzano-tomatoes.html

San Marzanos are my favorite as they are really meaty and are sweet enough that you don't need to add anything else to cut the acidity. Romas are good too, but it does depend on the type you grow and how they taste as they are all a little different. One thing i did last year was invest in a food mill and it was the best thing ever for sauce. it gets rid of al the seeds and skins without much effort. if you do get one, just make sure the holes are small enough that seeds won't pass through.

I am in the process of planning out my garden this year too and none too soon as we are about 3 jars of sauce away from running out :)

I agree with Dwain and Jay! San Marzano's Rock when it comes to making Italian sauces, especially Pizza Sauce!
I ordered my seeds from Italy back in January and received them the later part of February. Even the seeds are expensive as are buying the tomatoes in the can, whether DOP or not.
I also grow Roma's, so I can have fresh salsa and or Pico de gallo all summer long! And don't forget Cherry or pear tomatoes for snacking on!

I plant a lot of the roma bush plants .you get a lot of fruit and the plants are nice and compact. san marxzano are good too. romas make super sauce. cant go wrong.

I don't know about you guys but here in so cal I've never been able to get much in the way of production out of my san marzano plants. I use early girls for sauce and love them.

Back