Cast Iron "Potholders" - Any Recommendations ?

D Larsen

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello, All !

Been a long time since I've been lurking about here...glad to see Chris hasn't deleted me from the user database ! :)

I've always wanted to try cooking with cast iron...found a 5-piece set (plus gloves and lid hook !) on sale at Cabela's for $87, so I picked it up. I would've preferred the Lodge 5-piece set, but the Cabela's set had a 12" deep skillet with matching griddle/lid.

Anyway...seasoning it now...thanks for the tips here, about that process !

What I DO know is....it's just a matter of time before I grab one of the handles while cooking, forgetting that "it's hot !"....DOH.... I don't particularly want to use welder's gloves while making dinner....anybody have a recommendation on what to use ? Do those silicon "mitts" work ?

Thanks for any and all advice !

Dean...

Any good thick potholder will do. Or a kitchen towel folded over several times. Just make sure that they are dry. If wet,the water will turn to steam and scald you. HTH

Lodge makes a padded skillet handle cover, and there are some silicone ones on the market too.
Check Amazon for a variety.

I used the ones in this photo of a recent cook

001_zpsdicihwwx.jpg

I have a silicone one and a cloth one too but I haven't used them for a long time. I've burned the "palm prints" off of my palms a couple of times when I've forgotten..... painful sure. I have a dish rag and pot holders hanging next to the stove, that's what I usually use.

For CI and stoneware, I use anything with silicon (pre-formed handles, pot holders). I used my ancient dense cloth pot holders and folded dish towels in the past. The heat radiates through it too quickly for my comfort.

I have a silicone one and a cloth one too but I haven't used them for a long time. I've burned the "palm prints" off of my palms a couple of times when I've forgotten..... painful sure. I have a dish rag and pot holders hanging next to the stove, that's what I usually use.

Clint,

LOL ! That's EXACTLY what I know is going to happen to me...

I like the idea of a silicon mitt...Bed Bath and Beyond has a selection of stuff.

My cloth pot holders are pretty raggedy-looking, but I'll keep a few next to the range, as a "reminder", until I buy something else.

Thanks to all for the ideas/suggestions !

Dean...

Silicon gloves seem to have a max temp beyond which they are ineffective In that the inside of the glove gets too hot for me even though
the glove itself is undamaged. Read b4 you buy so your choice is in excess of your cooking temps.

I bake bread at 500o in cast iron pots and silicon is out. Thick padded mitts for me.

can't go wrong with welders gloves: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000MRQAJG/tvwb-20

I use them for my bbq too.

edit: sorry I reread it and realized you said you didn't want to use welders gloves

No problem, Matt !

I got a nice pair of welder-type gloves with the cast iron set...I also picked up a 3-pack of welder's gloves, and a "heat-resistant" pair of rubber gloves from Harbor Freight, for cheap...I use those on the WSM and grills, for moving meat around...the rubber ones don't bog down on greasy meats !! :)

Dean...

Silicon gloves seem to have a max temp beyond which they are ineffective In that the inside of the glove gets too hot for me even though
the glove itself is undamaged. Read b4 you buy so your choice is in excess of your cooking temps.

I bake bread at 500o in cast iron pots and silicon is out. Thick padded mitts for me.

Will do, Len ! Thanks for the advice !

Bread-baking is WAY in the future for me, so silicon will probably serve me well for now ! I'm just talking fried chicken, chili, and baked beans for now ! :)

Dean...

I have a pair of silicon mits that I use at times & I can even use them to hold glowing charcoal. They're too bulky for regular use but they do work quite well.

Whenever I'm cooking I have a dry towel over my shoulder for grabbing handles or whatever, but I got in that habit when I worked at the restaurant and just never stopped.

Silicon mits/pads makes everything feel slippery to me.
Towels or thick padded mitts/gloves are what I use.

Tim

Back