Best location of grommet for lower shelf?

Shanny Shanahan

After using a Weber kettle with a smokenator for the last while, I just scored a good used 18.5 WSM. After researching here I have decided to do a slot mod for my Maverick ET-733 and PartyQ for the upper shelf, but doing the lamp grommet mod for the probe for the lower shelf. It looks like some people drill out on of the rack holes to fit the lamp pipe nipple. Looking at Cajun Bandit, they recommend installing theirs just next to the rack bolts so at the same height as drilling out the rack bolt hole. I was wondering what people here thought of these locations. I would think that having the grommet just a couple of inches higher above the lower shelf would make things easier?

Appreciate any input and happy to be posting here after lurking for a long time

Thanks

Last edited:
First off, Welcome to the forum Shanny. As for location, the main thing should be what will work for you. I installed grommets on my WSM22 next to the holes for the bracket on the top of the center section. I did not put any in the lower part. I just run the wires through the top grommets and then down on the inside. This has always worked well for me, the as said before, what will work for you is the best way. Good luck with the mods. We are all here to help you.

Back