Drilling a hole on lid of wsm to increase temps

Dan A

TVWBB Member
Hi all, I have two wsm's. I have the gasket kit on both. Since installing the gaskets, Ive noticed my temps are much more stable especially at low temps, but it's definitely a lot harder to cruise at high temps. In fact with my lid on, my party q can't seem to get above 270 on either wsm. This also happens without the party q and using just the vents. It was completely the opposite before the gaskets.

So on my last cook I decided to crack the lid a bit and sure enough the temp went to a quick 325. It stayed there until I centered the lid and the temp slowly dropped to 266. So I've come to the conclusion that the gasket I installed on the lid is the culprit. It sealed it tight.

So it got me to thinking, I wonder if I drilled a 1" hole on the top if that would help me get the high temps when I need it. I would use a plug during regular low temp smokes, but at least I have the option.

So has anyone done this and would it even help get higher temps if the holes at the top?

Last, I though about using a silicone kill plug from bbq guru for this, but I'm not sure. Any other ideas?

Hi all, I have two wsm's. I have the gasket kit on both. Since installing the gaskets, Ive noticed my temps are much more stable especially at low temps, but it's definitely a lot harder to cruise at high temps. In fact with my lid on, my party q can't seem to get above 270 on either wsm. This also happens without the party q and using just the vents. It was completely the opposite before the gaskets.

So on my last cook I decided to crack the lid a bit and sure enough the temp went to a quick 325. It stayed there until I centered the lid and the temp slowly dropped to 266. So I've come to the conclusion that the gasket I installed on the lid is the culprit. It sealed it tight.

So it got me to thinking, I wonder if I drilled a 1" hole on the top if that would help me get the high temps when I need it. I would use a plug during regular low temp smokes, but at least I have the option.

So has anyone done this and would it even help get higher temps if the holes at the top?

Last, I though about using a silicone kill plug from bbq guru for this, but I'm not sure. Any other ideas?

I've noticed the exact same thing after installing the gasket and to some extent the cajun bandit door. What you are suggesting would probably work but I don't know if its the most elegant solution. Some people have gone as far as to make a second top vent. Dwain Pannell puts a skewer under the lid and I've found that works pretty well. I'm scared of damaging my lid by drilling into it. The porcelain coating could crack.

Isn't the WSM designed for Low and Slow. When I want high heat, I just use my Performer with water soaked wood chips. It is perfect for high heat as that is what it was designed to do. The old adage is right, "use the right tool for the job". Every time I have tried to do a high heat cook on my WSM, I have nothing but problems. It is not designed for that purpose. I have heard of people who also try to do long low and slow on Weber kettles and while they may pull if off, it is not the best option. Does a good mechanic just have one hand held tool box to work on your car? No, he has a Snap-on chest or two full of different tools so he has the right tool for the job.

I got my Performer first and then a few years later, realized that I was just grilling and so had to buy a WSM to do the real low and slow. I think I have the best of both worlds and the right tool for whatever I want to do.
Just my 20 cents (adjusted for inflation).

Edit: Why ruin a perfectly good WSM with an extra hole in the top. Check out Craigslist for a used Performer and try that. That's what I did when I wanted a gasser. Took a while but I found a great Genesis 1000 redhead that I am rehabbing.

Dan, where in SoCal are you.

Last edited:
If it were me and I wanted more flow through the lid, I'd get another wheel vent. That way would allow for more temp control and probably more flow if needed.
I'd mask both sides of the lid w/ blue masking tape before drilling & use a file to finish the work. After a smoke or two, there will be enough goo on the exposed edges that rust will never be a problem.

I guess it is meant for low and slow. I do have a performer that I use for grilling, it's just not very convenient to add wood chunks or cook indirectly at temps in the low 300's for long periods of time. I'm almost kind of kicking myself now for installing the lid gasket. It's just so nice and quiet with it. I'll have to check out the wheel vents.

Dan, I do my turkey's every thanksgiving with indirect and have no problem adding wood chips with the two side hinged sides. Easy to maintain temp and add charcoal. I learned the technique from one of the Weber books probably 15 or 20 years ago. You just need the right technique.

My main reasons for wanting the higher temps were for turkey and whole chicken. I will have to give the performer a try. I wonder how the Party Q would do on it?

I never had a problem getting my WSM's up to HH by just cracking the lid with a metal spatula or flipping the door.
It's a versatile tool if you play with it.:wsm:

Tim

My main reasons for wanting the higher temps were for turkey and whole chicken. I will have to give the performer a try. I wonder how the Party Q would do on it?

High heat cooks with WSMs usually don't use the water pan or a diffuser. Chicken (& I would think turkey) get a different flavor than high heat indirect cooking on a kettle. The grease & juices from the poultry or meat drip on the coals & flavor the smoke, which flavors the meat. Some folks like this. & some don't. HH also gets the much desired crispy skin.

Chickens usually need to be halved or splatchcocked.

High heat cooks with WSMs usually don't use the water pan or a diffuser. Chicken (& I would think turkey) get a different flavor than high heat indirect cooking on a kettle. The grease & juices from the poultry or meat drip on the coals & flavor the smoke, which flavors the meat. Some folks like this. & some don't. HH also gets the much desired crispy skin.

Chickens usually need to be halved or splatchcocked.

Turkey On Performer

If you follow this link, you will see that with a pan under the turkey or chicken, I put it between the indirect coals, you won't have any flame up and don't drip on the coals. You can also use wet smoke wood (I use apple and cherry) to impart a smoke flavor. I get rave reviews doing it this way.
I also brine the turkey but not chickens.

Dan... with 2 WSMs you have nothing to loose (also you won't fu the modified wsm). I say drill the lid & add a wheel vent!!!!!!
Do a cook on the Performer & modified WSM.
Please report back with results.

Dan... with 2 WSMs you have nothing to loose (also you won't fu the modified wsm). I say drill the lid & add a wheel vent!!!!!!
Do a cook on the Performer & modified WSM.
Please report back with results.

I have done turkey on both my WSM and my Performer. The WSM does a good job but I always have a hard time keeping the temps where they should be. With the Performer, never a problem and the taste is great either way. Just easier to use the Performer for this application. Just my opinion.

I bought a damper replacement kit from ereplacementparts.com and added one extra lid vent, and two intake vents. This allows me to do high heat chicken and turkey cooks. With all vents open using 50/50 lump and KBB i was able to smoke 2 15lb birds at 350 to 375F.

I do HH cooks all the time. In competitions, it's the only way I cook brisket & pork butts. I leave the empty water pan in (foiled). I cook at 340° and then ramp down to 300° during the wrap. With the pan in, the fire has to burn hotter, thus cleaner, in order to attain the desired temp at grate level.

I use a Stoker for for precise control at comps, but I routinely just use the vents to control the heat during practice. If you start out with a hot fire, you can easily maintain that temperature by using the dampers and adding charcoal and/or wood chunks. I do use lump and Stubb's briquettes instead of KBB or similar briquettes. They burn hotter than KBB.

Back