Pallet Wood Weber Performer

JamieLamb

TVWBB Member
I got creative this weekend and ended up making my brand new 22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold into a Weber Performer out of some free pallets I came across. I think it turned out pretty good. I just couldn't bring myself to paying the $200+ people have been asking on Craigslist or the $349 Home Depot is asking, especially when I already own a brand new 22.5". The only thing I have had to buy so far is good screws, which brought the project total to $9. I will likely be adding some casters, some utensil hooks, and a beer opener. I had the large eye bolt that now serves as the lid hanger. After the stain dries I will add exterior polyurethane to finish it up. Fun project, even though pallets are harder to take apart than I thought...yikes.

Last edited:
Cool!
How did you mount the bowl to the table?

It is currently resting on it's handles. I made the table only wide enough so that the grill and its handles fit snuggly in the gap. There is about a 1" gap under the lip of the grill all the way around so that when it is hot it will not burn the wood of the table. I took the grill handle covers off and secured the grill to the table by putting a screw through the handle holes on each side into the frame of the table. It is all hidden under the trim pieces on the front and back of the table. If I find I am adding too much weight to the grill or that the handles are bending, I will secure the sides with something for the lip of the grill to rest on. I will try and take pictures of how I secured it once it is light outside.

Nice work, Look forward to seeing the pictures of how you secured the kettle inside.

I want to do something like this for my 1984 Kettle ( Kenmore) ..

Great Job! I think the lighter color (unstained with a few coats of spar varnish or polyurethane would looked sharp too.

I like your version of the Performer and your custom additions.. +1 on bottle opener idea Weber should add this to the Performer.

Last edited:
These Pallet Recycling projects are so cool.

I have a kettle with a table but a WSM table/cart would be pretty cool.

After thinking about it and not wanting to risk it, I decided that securing the grill within the table a little more is a good idea. I found a package of square bend hooks that I will screw into the table and will hold the grill up on either side using the lip of the grill. This way the grill is not only resting on its handles. Only $1.89 for the package of 5 at Ace Hardware and 3 of them will serve as my utensil hooks. This brings the project total to around $11.

The county I live in has a hazardous waste department where you can drop off excess paint, stain and other materials that you cannot just drop in the trash. Best part is that the service is free. In turn they have a large room they call the "Free Store" and you can go pickup supplies that you need for free. Not many people know about programs like this, so you may check your own county. It is by where I work, so I stopped by and found an entire gallon (way more than I needed) of Flood clear desk sealer. I have used this same brand on a fence in the past so I know it is good stuff. I sealed the entire table and now I can just return it to the Free Store for a full refund. Nice way to weatherproof the table at $0 cost.

Thanks for all the info, Jamie. I like the free store idea, I've got to see if we have something like that. Yes, pulling those pallets apart is a PAIN!
Nice job.

Jamie;
That's a truly worthy project and will give you great pleasure in the coming years. GOOD JOB!!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Jamie, I've been working with pallets for a cpl years now, so I know what you mean when you talk about taking them apart! The cart/table really looks sharp, and I think the pallet wood really adds character to any project! A great job at an even better price!
Tim

I decided that I needed a storage cabinet, so I added one. The tote holding all of my smoking wood fits perfectly underneath. I added a door using small gate hinges and a double hinged lockable hasp to keep the door closed and locked so people don't steal my stuff. So happy I did this because I can keep all of my equipment in the cabinet once I figure out a cover for this thing. I added a beer opener to the front and casters to the bottom. Two of the casters lock so this thing doesn't roll around in the wind. I believe I have decided on Weber tool holder 7401 as a utensil hanger. It is made for kettles, but I can tweek it to work on the front I think and it is only $4. We grilled on the setup for the first time tonight and I couldn't be happier.

I also added the angled hooks I posted earlier on either side of the grill. I wrapped them in electrical tape and then foil tape to protect the grill from being scratched. I screwed them in at an angle and bent them so that they hit the lip of the grill perfectly. The grill is so secure that it does not wiggle with the handles sitting on the ledge I made and these hooks serving as additional support.

lYisTVM.jpg

Very nice. You did good.

Back