Ecotemp probes

I would imagine they're not the same as the TX series probes or else they'd not be liquidating them, they'd just sell them as such. They are thermistor and 2.5mm jack it looks like, but based on the fact that they aren't sold with the ChefAlarm I conjecture they very well may have a different thermistor in them. They might be compatible and the TX series are a little nicer with the protective bit on the entry and nice little springy connections.

I ordered a few of the TX series and the ecotemp were so cheap i had to order a couple.
I'll do a boil test when i get them to see.

Bryan, can you link me to a how to setup probes that aren't in the presets? Yes I'll search, just trying to find the best way and im sure you'd know.

Thanks

"All you have to do..." is calculate the Steinhart Coefficients which means you need their resistance and temperature roughly every 10C for 0C to 300C. I then use an application to do curve fitting to the Steinhart equation AN2395.

linkmeterd can also do it if you tie (physically) the pit probe to the unknown probe in FOOD1 and then slowly (like over the course of an hour) run the two of them through all the temperature range. To start it, SSH into the device and use the command `lmclient LMUP,start`. When done you can do `lmclient LMUP,fit` to see the coefficients, and `lmclient LMUP,stop` to disable data collection and put the HeaterMeter back into normal mode. EDIT: But I haven't tried this in a while so no guarantee of it working.

Closest preset for the Ecotemp probes was the Vishay 10k but still doesn't scale right, even with an offset it'll be off. Might try the SSH method, if i can figure it out. I have no idea how to get a constant temp for the range, oven will be up and down at any given set temp...

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-18%20at%206.39.07%20PM.png

Yeah the offset doesn't account for a non-linear error. Different curves is different curves!

You could wrap the two probes in a wrap of aluminum foil and fire up the oven to 500F. Wait about 20 minutes for it to get good and warmed up then turn it off and start the correlation. As the oven slowly cools the two will pass through all the temps on the way down. When you get to the point things start leveling out, open the door and let it finish cooling. I dunno how you'll get those last degrees though.

Ya I knew it was a long shot.

Good call on setting the oven to max then adding the probes, could finish off with water and then ice after. Good idea, thanks.

Yeah LMUP,start switches the units to Resistance, which makes the first probe into degrees C and the others into ohms. They should report values though. I'd test it but golly looks like the heatermeter.com server is down and I need to drive out to see why!

Back