Thinking About Buying BBQ Guru DIGIQ DX2 What's Everyone Think

Yes they work fine as long as you have your smoker fairly air tight. Out of round lids,center sections and bowls and loose fitting doors can all be fixed by you very easily if it needs to be. Little leaks your gonna have.

Ive used it in the last months w/22 WSM. IT works perfectly. Really steady cooking T all over the cook. My usual smoking T is 250F. It is able to maintane T in +- 5 F for all the dook. Impressive. I bought the 10 viper fan and it's perfect.

I love mine. I start most of my butt cooks before I go to be and maybe get up once during the night to look out the window and check on it. Haven't found it yet more than +/- 5 degrees of what I set it at.

I love mine. I start most of my butt cooks before I go to be and maybe get up once during the night to look out the window and check on it. Haven't found it yet more than +/- 5 degrees of what I set it at.

This is the exact reason I bought a PartyQ. I couldn't justify the additional cost of the other models considering I'm only going to use it for maybe a dozen cooks a year. If you'll use it more frequently, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

i was going to get one and a buddy of mine got one.
we did a rib fest he used his guru and i just used my wsm like normal.

he spent way more time dicking with his wsm then i did even with the guru.
put meat in have beer leave it alone everything is good
he claimed to have huge spikes i have never had issue keeping it around temp i want
unless i run low on fuel.

personally i wouldn't bother but i guess some like it.

Excellent product. BBQ Guru has an impeccable reputation. But for the price of a BBQ Guru you could buy an 18" WSM, or 3 "Cases" of ribs from a Wholesale Meat Store, or more charcoal than you could ever use in one season or about 1/3 of a Myron Mixon cooking class. If you've got the $$$ go for it. If you're competting, it's a must. But for us backyard cooks - it's a luxury item to be sure.

Last edited:
I added a Buru DigiQ to my 18.5" WSM and absolutely love it and have no regrets whatsoever. Is it needed, no not really but it makes smoking so much more simplified. About the same time I added it I lost the water pan for a foil covered clay saucer and life is so much simpler. Luxury Item, sure so what, I love it.

I had the BBQ Guru on my Primo Oval XL a few years back. It worked perfectly for long or short cooks. The grill and the controller were casualties of a divorce. I got back on my feet and got a WSM with the BBQ Guru DX2. Just as it was with the Primo this tool is invaluable for any kind of cook. Sure you can run a WSM without it but you gotta check it quite often. I set my Guru and forget it with complete confidence. I don't consider a tool that keeps me from babysitting a smoker to be a luxury. I have other things to do on my days off so I look at it as a necessity. JMHO

I've enjoyed my CyberQ for the past year and am just a backyard smoker. It's totally unnecessary as my 18 WSM would lock in for hours with just adjusting the vents, but I do like getting more sleep at night and being able to monitor it away from home. I probably had gone 4-5 yrs without it before the purchase, but I really do enjoy it.

Definitely look to really seal up your smoker and minimize air leaks. The CB door and Southco latch really helped on mine. I also use two terra cotta planter bases foiled instead of water.

Guru DX 2 is absolutely a must have. bluid strong and reliable, keep my temp right for 9 hours without baby sitting and i guess i could go to 15 -18 h easily ! BUT you need a perfect air tight wsm and u have to half open the damper on the pit viper fan ;)

I've had one for a couple of years and have been really happy with it. It does such a great job on temperature control. I was recently reading about the cyberQ - sounds handy for monitoring a cook while elsewhere in the house via wireless. There's been some discussion on the Australian bbq forum about a similar device being made in China - sounds very like the guru, but with the addition of being able to program a progression of temperature stages during a cook. I believe that one doesn't yet have wireless, but planned by the end of 2015.

II don't have one, so I can't say it's good or bad. However, I've found that my 22" WSM holds a temp +/- about 10 degrees, which is more than enough for normal cooks, even long ones. I don't think that a temp control would improve the quality of what comes out of my smoker.

However, I can see where it would be nice to have a controller for overnight cooks, since you can trust that the temp won't get out of control while you sleep. I did a brisket overnight, and was up every hour or so checking on it. Awesome meat, sucky night!

Back