St. Louis Folks-Where are you getting your Meat?

Ryan Dethrow

I travel a bit for work, mostly throughout the midwest and often stop at the local grocery just to check things out. Its an odd thing I know but often it kills some time in between what ever it is I am doing that day. I have noticed that the St. Louis supermarkets stink when it comes to actually providing good quality cuts. I was up north yesterday and went in to a Hyvee and was amazed at the look and size of the cuts in the meat case. and it appears that they actually value this craft and service.Same can be said for Chains like HEB in Texas. I have found one independent grocery chain in St. Charles, Mid Town market who still operate like an old time butcher, but there is no meat case. You ring a bell and talk to the butcher about what you want, A lot of times they actually show you the cut they will pull from to make sure its what you really want. I like most get the majority from Costco but you can never really tell what you are getting with the cryopacks. With that said, I am always looking for a good source for great meats. I have heard good things about Johns Butcher Shoppe in Overland and I hear Browns Meats in Winfield (about a 40 minute drive)has fantastic Pork. Any opinions or suggestions from any fellow St. Louis Folks?

Where did you see HyVee? I'm originally from Des Moines and grew up with them, but live down here in the St Louis area now.

I actually like the cuts at Sam's for the most part. I have also grabbed stuff at Mannino's. The one in Flint Hill is near my home in Wentzville, and the one in Cottleville is near my work in O'Fallon.

If I make it to the south side, I try to stop in Kenrick's.

I was in Quincy Illinois this week. There was a lot of stickers indicating this or that came from Iowa in the Meat Case by the way. There is also one in Osage Beach that has good selections. Although the new Dierbergs really stepped up their game at their new store there too.

It's been a few years since I have lived in Saint Louis, but here are a few I used to get meats from.

Mateker's Meat & Catering - 11642 Concord Village St. Louis, MO 63128
LeGrand's Market & Catering - 4414 Donovan Ave, St. Louis, MO 63109
Baumann’s Fine Meats - 8829 Manchester Road, St. Louis, MO 63144
Kenrick's Meat and Catering - 4324 Weber Rd St. Louis, MO 63123

Back