Baked Chicken on the Weber and Dutch Oven

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I did this cook last Saturday and have been debating whether to post it or not. Finally decided to go ahead as you've got to have the good with the, not so good. Talking appearance mostly as the chicken turned out nice and moist and very tasty. Here goes.

Dusted off my Camp Dutch Oven.

Wet Ingredients. Soaked six chicken thighs in buttermilk and 4 beaten eggs for an hour.

While chicken was soaking mixed up the dry ingredients.

Dipped the chicken in the buttermilk solution and tossed in dry ingredients. No Pic of this.

Got the chicken browning in some peanut oil in the camp dutch oven. Used my Jumbo Joe for this step by placing DO directly down over bed of coals.

Here's where I ran into a little trouble. Let the browning go on a little too long and got the chicken way too dark. Also over crowded the DO with six thighs, making it difficult to flip. Also the style tongs I used tore up the skin and crust.

Anyway, moving along, after finishing the browning process, I emptied the oil from the dutch oven, placed a trivet in the bottom of the oven and baked the chicken for an additional hour. I got this trivet from my buddy, CaseT, up in Oregon after he saw I was looking for one.

For the one hour bake I put one ring of charcoal under the DO and two rings over the lid. Did that chicken smell good at this point!

While the chicken was baking, I got a head of cauliflower going along with some Yukons.

Continued....

Last edited:
After an hour...

Pulled the YG's and Cauliflower.

Cauliflower came out great. Used Johnny's Seasoning Salt this time. Also shredded parmesan and spread with softened butter. Really liked it.

Plated.

It came out really good. Will do better next time. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
All our cooks can't all be winners!! Your sides look fantastic, and I'm sure the chicken tasted good too!

Your chicken looks really good, Cliff. I try to get mine off the grate perfectly and get irritated when the skin tears but it still tastes good. I'm my own worst critic like many on this forum are. Great cook. I wish I liked cauliflower because that looks tasty.

Todd

Come on Cliff, that chicken looks tasty and i'm steeling your cauliflower recipe for sure.

What size dutch oven are you using?

Come on Cliff, that chicken looks tasty and i'm steeling your cauliflower recipe for sure.

What size dutch oven are you using?

Thanks Jeff! That's a 12 inch. Top diameter, not internal bottom. I've looked everywhere, both on line and locally, for a Lodge 16 inch but no luck. I'm going to pick up a Lodge 14 inch tomorrow

Nicely done Cliff, I'm gonna bake some Peavy, and put it out for the stray cats

Terrific DO/grill cook Cliff!
DST is coming, before long we won't have to take our pics using the stove lights for illumination.
I do that myself. :)

If that's the worst you ever came up with , Cliff...:) You just box those puppies up and send 'em North - I'll take care of 'em!

Cliff - excellent cook. I count it a success when things don't go the way I'd hoped but the food is still edible. I love using my dutch oven but I've never fried chicken in it (I will now after seeing your post). I bet it would take a few tries to perfect the technique. By the looks of it - you were really slamming it with heat. Well north of 550 I'd guess. Maybe try dialing back the briquettes next go around. I use the chart in this article to help with DO temps.

I am all over that cauliflower dude - how long did you cook it? I have not used Johnny's since I lived in the Pacific North West - I wonder if I can get it down here in the bayou...

Regards,

John

Thanks Jeff! That's a 12 inch. Top diameter, not internal bottom. I've looked everywhere, both on line and locally, for a Lodge 16 inch but no luck. I'm going to pick up a Lodge 14 inch tomorrow

I have a couple of 14" DOs but I found these 16" on-line - maybe I will got one too - I have a large scout troop and could use the space...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camp-Chef-Classic-16-Dutch-Oven/20468119

http://www.campchef.com/16-cast-iron-classic-dutch-oven.html

Regards,

John

Back