What's a good way to raise the charcoal grate

ZoranM

What's a good way to raise the charcoal on a 22.5" performer so the charcoal is closer to the cooking grate?

I don't know what diameter the charcoal grate is for the bigger 26" kettle. That might work well to get the charcoal right under the cooking grate of the 22.5" kettle.

I've heard guys take a second charcoal grate placed on a cpl fire bricks to bring the fire closer to the food grate.

I use a couple of fire bricks stood on their edges making a divider across the charcoal grate. Then, I dump a full chimney of lit on 1/3-1/2 of the grate. This raises the coals up towards the meat grate and gives me very nice searing. Of course, it also gives me a two level fire (direct and indirect).

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Welcome to the forum!
If you have the char-baskets, then you can put the cook grate right on top of them.
I have the Weber System grate and will sometimes drop the center section down on the baskets.

IMGP7416.JPG

I agree with the use of the Charcoal baskets. they raise the coals quite a bit closer to the cooking grate.

Spend 15 bucks and get the Weber charcoal baskets (the old Weber part # was 7403 - not sure of the new). A fully loaded (slighly overloaded) pair of charbaskets puts the coals right up to grate level and gives a fairly large searing area. Works extremely well - no need to jury-rig anything else. :cool:

+1, the charcoal baskets are the way to go. Brings it to grate level and holds it centered so it takes less to get to the grate.

Another good method if you need more sear surface area is to use firebricks on their side (box of 6 are $20 from Ace) to make a triangle.

What's a good way to raise the charcoal on a 22.5" performer so the charcoal is closer to the cooking grate?

I don't know what diameter the charcoal grate is for the bigger 26" kettle. That might work well to get the charcoal right under the cooking grate of the 22.5" kettle.

My $0.02...

You don't want to raise the charcoal grate because that will allow for the possibility (inevitability) that you will lose lit charcoal over the sides. If you raise it past the tabs it sits on, the charcoal grate is a not large enough to fill the grill wall to wall.

So that leaves 2 choices.

Get a second charcoal grate and set it up on something non-flammable (like charcoal baskets) and light the coals on the upper charcoal grate.

OR...

leave the coals on the lower charcoal grate and get a cooking grate that is smaller than 22.5 inches and set it on the charcoal baskets, so it is lower than the 22.5 grate sits.

I just pile the crap out of some coals one side.

What are you trying to do? I can assume, but you know what that means...

This is a great question. I don't think the charcoal basket idea works very well. Sure you are piling the coals up high but, the coals in the lower part of the baskets are getting all the air while the top coals don't burn as hot.

This is a great question. I don't think the charcoal basket idea works very well. Sure you are piling the coals up high but, the coals in the lower part of the baskets are getting all the air while the top coals don't burn as hot.
Baskets work well for me, heat rises and stokes the coals above too.

Wow! Thanks for the fascinating videos. I don't think I have the stones to try that with those big beautiful T-bones. I'd be afraid I'd ruin them!
Do you think Steve goes extra heavy on the seasoning because you loose some when brushing ashes off?

Last edited:

Back