Best way to freeze your butt?

StanSulli

TVWBB Fan
Hi,

Good sale going on, so I'm gonna be stocking up on a couple of Boston Butts.

I'm looking for tips on long term Butt storage.

And if stored properly, about how long will a Butt last in the freezer before it goes around the bend?

Thanks

Last edited:
They are usually shipped in cryovac, two or one per package. So ask the meat person if they will sell you some from a case. This saves the extra work of vac-sealing. I've held them in cryo for several months with no noticeable deterioration in quality.

Tim

They are usually shipped in cryovac, two or one per package. So ask the meat person if they will sell you some from a case. This saves the extra work of vac-sealing. I've held them in cryo for several months with no noticeable deterioration in quality.

Tim

I have stored butts that are frozen in the original cryovac for over a year and it was perfectly fine. Personally, I wouldn't load up if I couldn't get them in the original cryovac but I believe that if you vacuum packed them yourself, you would still be able to freeze them for over a year with no ill affects.

Stan;
>>>Best way to freeze your butt?<<<

Just step outside, where I live, in your skivvies! It's minus 7 as I write this...

Leave Boston Butt in the original cryovac (as has been mentioned) and keep it in a zero degree freezer and it is good for months.

Then, after you make pulled pork from it, vacuum pack it, and keep it for another couple of months...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53
:wsm:

What Robert and Jerry just said - I've frozen them 6+ months before thawing, defrosting, and smoking, with no ill effects...

Regards,

Rooster

There was a sale at my local fareway at $1.49/lb. I picked up a 9.25# butt and they wrapped it in plastic and butcher paper. How long do you folks think it will last like that?

There was a sale at my local fareway at $1.49/lb. I picked up a 9.25# butt and they wrapped it in plastic and butcher paper. How long do you folks think it will last like that?

Quite awhile. When I used to buy whole cows and pigs the meat locker wrapped them that way. No probs after a year.

Tim

Got a large ziplock bag? Stick it in one and it will last frozen a long time. A year or more before you lose any quality. Frozen, safety isn't an issue if it was good going in

Back