Sweet Baby Ray's Clone

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I am not sure where I got this but if I did I would cite the source for credit. I made it today for tonight's cook. (With the addition of Maker's Mark and Black's BBQ Seasoning.)

1 1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp hickory liquid smoke (optional)
2 1/2 tspground mustard
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp cornstarch

Directions

Whisk all ingredients together (except cornstarch) in a medium pot over medium heat

Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until sugar has dissolved

To thicken sauce, dissolve cornstarch in 1/8 cup of cold water and whisk into sauce.

Now simmer for 15 minutes until required thickness is reached. Sauce will thicken a little more when it cools

Bottle and refrigerate.

Thanks for this Dwain

But, although you posted it, you didn't comment on how it tastes (I don't assume any thing is why I ask ;) )

Thanks for this Dwain

But, although you posted it, you didn't comment on how it tastes (I don't assume any thing is why I ask ;) )

It was pretty good Len. I grilled some pork chops with it but before I did I had my son, daughter, grand baby, and SWMBO do a taste test side by side with some real Baby Ray's. It didn't fool them but they said it was very close and very good. In fact my son asked me to send the recipe to him so he can make it. I'll definitely make it again.

Last edited:
How much Makers did you add?
As the original doesn't use booze, I would say "till it is to your liking" :)

I found one Dwain that looks like yours (I'm doing this on my phone so can't compare till I post this--I see it's similar)

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups ketchup, preferably organic
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup pineapple juice (or you can sub apple cider vinegar)
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon worchestire sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use less if you don't like the heat)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/8 cold water mixed with 1 tablespoon corn starch (optional)
Only add the last water/cornstarch if you need to thicken (add some/all gradually).

I found this here

http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-barbecue-sauce-just-like-sweet-baby-rays/

Last edited:

Back