Re-seasoning a CI Pot

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
So I know the basics of seasoning a cast-iron pot, and even if I didn't I'm sure I could find them online. I bought a new CI pot about a year ago and didn't do a great job of maintaining/repairing the seasoning and now it need to be redone. The thing that has me putting it off is smokey nightmare that is my house when seasoning CI cookware in the oven. I'd love to re-season this pot outdoors if I can, but "all I own" are a 18.5" WSM, a 22.5" OTG, and a 18.5" OTS.

I've heard of people seasoning CI on gassers but not in a kettle or WSM. I've pretty much ruled out the OTS because of its size--I'm assuming indirect heat is key for this endeavor and it's a 7 qt. pot so I'm thinking it'd be too tight. I'm wondering which would be a better option, the OTG or the WSM. I'm also wondering if it is a bad idea to try with charcoal or in a well-used WSM.

Thoughts?

I have been known to set off the smoke detector when cooking, but never when seasoning CI, which numbers in the hundreds of times. I think you may just need to adjust your technique a bit, and save the charcoal and trouble of firing up a cooker. My guess, if your previous attempts have resulted in a "smokey nightmare", is that you're applying whatever you're using too heavily and also probably exceeding its smoke point too far. You may want to try the method here: http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php, and see if it doesn't work better. If you go one step further and crack a window and run the kitchen exhaust fan, you shouldn't have any issues at all.

5R6s6rj.jpg

I use my kettle to do this so I don't stink up the house. Place face down on the grate and close the lid. Do not it put on a fire that is hotter than 450. Do not open until the whole thing is cool to the touch. You don't want to warp/crack the CI with drastic temp changes.

I do season mine on my Performer. Set it up indirect. I always say if it will fit whatever you do in an oven can be done on a Weber Kettle and I haven't found anything to make that a false statement

I have been known to set off the smoke detector when cooking, but never when seasoning CI, which numbers in the hundreds of times. I think you may just need to adjust your technique a bit, and save the charcoal and trouble of firing up a cooker. My guess, if your previous attempts have resulted in a "smokey nightmare", is that you're applying whatever you're using too heavily and also probably exceeding its smoke point too far. You may want to try the method here: http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php, and see if it doesn't work better. If you go one step further and crack a window and run the kitchen exhaust fan, you shouldn't have any issues at all.

You might be right about applying it too heavily, I never thought of that. As far as the nightmare scenario, it's not as bad as it sounds (certainly no more more than running the self-clean cycle on the oven) but I do have some smoke sensitive family members (namely the very pregnant wife). I'll be sure to check out that link and revisit my technique.

Youtube is full of videos on cast iron.. I say just use the pot & season it naturally........... Not sure what you're cooking or your intended use.... My experience is 98% with skillets... I have a DO but rarely use it

Once you've stripped a pan to bare iron, you have to do something to keep it from spontaneously flash rusting again. A basic initial seasoning in the oven is just that, basic and initial. While many youtube videos preach multiple, repeated baked-on coats, it's largely overkill, and, as stated above, just cooking in a pan ultimately yields the best seasoning.

just re-seasoned three small cast iron pieces using lard in a 225F oven for 2 hours...
then wiped them drier, turned off the oven and let'em sit until cool... no smoke, no smell, no problem.
works well.

Once you've stripped a pan to bare iron, you have to do something to keep it from spontaneously flash rusting again. A basic initial seasoning in the oven is just that, basic and initial. While many youtube videos preach multiple, repeated baked-on coats, it's largely overkill, and, as stated above, just cooking in a pan ultimately yields the best seasoning.

That's it. My Grandpappy was the CI master and gave me a few tips. Once stripped, dry it out in the oven at 400degrees. 1/2hr or so. While drying fire up kettle or gasser to 400. light coat of crisco or lard. The key is too have a little bit of temp in your CI when applying. Work the stuff in. Up side down in cooker for an hr or so. Let it cool down a little and do it one more time. After that, use the **** out of it. Use it to cook and saute. Never deglaze in it or put pasta sauce. it will strip it dry

I bought a ribbed skillet at a garage sale for $3, it needed some love (grimy but not rusty) I just cleaned the heck out of it with course rock salt and super hot water. I then put it on the stove on high and rubbed Crisco grease into it, until the Crisco grease wiped clean (that took awhile and about 1/3 of a small can of Crisco) but it came out nice. I cooked burgers on it in my gasser this past weekend, they were great. Probably spent 45 minutes total, 30 minutes cleaning with rock salt, 14 minutes seasoning with Crisco

I'm with Jim. Oil lightly and let them sit in the mid 200's. No smoke, little smell and they aren't blazingly hot for a few hours after you pull them out. I just got a Lodge chili pot (not sure what the actual name is but I'm making chili in it)) and it was pre-seasoned. Still rusted after my initial rinse with soapy water and came right back with a little canola. All that said, there are better options than cast iron these days unless you're riding the rails. Using a CI pan is more a want than a need.

Back