Cleaning your Mini WSM

Joe Map

Since I didn't cut out the entire bottom of my pot, I find quite a bit of residue burnt in the bottom of it, not as much if I use a drip pan. Right now, I'm forgoing the drip pan in favor of a foil-wrapped firebrick.

What process do you follow to clean your mini WSM?

Joemap

I use a 9" pie pan wrapped in foil. I change the foil every several cooks. I also scrape the grates after each cook. Before each cook, I let them heat up and give them another scrape. That's it besides cleaning out the ashes.

I don't have a Mini.....yet, but I used to be quite festidious cleaning my WSM and other grills.

Now all I do is, give the grates a quick brush when it's still warm. Dump the ashes when it's cooled, then brush out the bowl with an old 4" paint brush. For any burnt on residue in the charcoal bowl I use a plastic car windscreen scraper and give it a quick scrape. Just before the next cook I'll give the grates another quick brush.

If I haven't used a grill in quite a while, I'll dump in a full chimney of lit, pop the lid on, open all vents and let it rip to burn any nasties that may be lurking.

Since I didn't cut out the entire bottom of my pot, I find quite a bit of residue burnt in the bottom of it, not as much if I use a drip pan. Right now, I'm forgoing the drip pan in favor of a foil-wrapped firebrick. What process do you follow to clean your mini WSM? Joemap
I too drilled my mini's bottom and yeah, "stuff" does find it's way to the bottom and accumulates there. I just tip mine upside down and bang the bottom pretty good, knocking the "stuff" loose and call it good. I was tempted once to put it on my gasser (the big "Q") upside down, but it seemed a lot like work. I'm sure I've got at least 100 cooks on my mini (made May 2014) and most those cooks were messy stuff (sausages, etc) and I've had no issues. I will admit, I've moved from "low and slow" with my mini to almost always cooking in the 300's with it. If I was doing lots of "low & slow" I could see where the mess at the bottom could cause some concern.

My very first Mini I built I also drilled the bottom out. I didn't like the mess or the performance so I took the jigsaw to it. Cleaning is no longer a problem!

10440091824_85c1892b74_b.jpg

I was just thinking the same question - I made bacon in my mini and the fat dripped to the bottom...I also have the drill holes...

I ended up making a very hot fire and burning all the residue. In the summer I will spray it with water, but for now a few hot fires and banging the bottom when cool will have to do...

I use a 9" pie pan wrapped in foil. I change the foil every several cooks. I also scrape the grates after each cook. Before each cook, I let them heat up and give them another scrape. That's it besides cleaning out the ashes.

best advice for the mini. I cut the lid from the pot and wrap it in foil. Once the sides start to get the black flaky stuff. I'll just grab a wire brush and knock it down.

Back