Inside Diameter (ID) of WSM Vent Holes

Andrew Scaum

Hey folks,

I've built myself a DIY temp controller for my 18.5" WSM. The fan, PID, SSR etc. are all housed in a PVC conduit box with an exhaust I cut out for the hose. On the WSM I used 3/4' knockouts on one of the vents capping off 2 holes, as I've seen others use, and plan on running hose to the 3rd vent hole for the air.
I've read on various online sources that the vent holes are 3/4" but I believe that's OD. What are people using for the ID? Without drilling a hole in my WSM I am ultimately looking for a hose barb to male, Male to male with lock nut etc. type fitting.

Note
For those using the caps get Hillman (Lowes, HD). They were a true fit and once on, not an eyesore.

The Hillman Group*3/4 in. Chrome Hole Plug Model #881267

Thanks ever so much!

If the 3/4 male threaded end is to big for the hole you could use a 1/2" and get a couple reducing washers.

OD and ID are terms usually used on piping and tubing. I do not understand how a hole in a piece of metal could have an ID and an OD?

Andrew. Measure the diameter of the hole, then buy a bulk-head type fitting. (They come with a myriad of different types of ends). If the hole is 3/4", buy one that's 5/8" or 11/16" OD. Heat resistant fibre washers can be used to get a tight seal.

E.g. (Remove the lock nut, put the threaded end through the hole and put the lock nut back on).

23scdqh.jpg

Last edited:
My team Burnley FC got promoted tis year - all I want is for the lads to finish the season outside of the relegation group. Anyhoo getting off topic :)

Back