Help needed on setting up for an Arduino Uno

J Fenton

Greeting all,

I'm hoping some of you can provide some help on getting started with using Heatermeter on a Arduino Uno. The components I'm looking to hook up include the LCD, probes of course, buttons, and eventually a RPi or preferably my WRT54G. Can someone point me in the right directions or diagrams for wiring the Uno to probes and LCD? I've reviews the Heatermeter schematic, but to me there seems to be a lot of resisters, LEDS, and others stuff that I'm not sure are need. A simpler schematic would help or any good threads. Thanks.

Jeff

To be perfectly honest, I don't think you're going to get a whole lot more simpler than the current design of using the existing HM board + RaspberryPi.

Eliminating the LEDs only eliminates 3 resistors.

It's not about it being easier. I've already have an Uno, LCD, probes, the 74HC595, wrt54G, and other random electronics. I just didn't see the point of buying all the heatermeter electronics when I can use an Uno. I've seen images/threads on here were people used a Arduino MiniPro so I know it's possible, but a little more direction information would help.

Sure, but your $25 uno is replacing a $6 atmega328p chip plus a couple of components. Since you want to have the LCD and button control, you're going to need to use prototyping boards or something similar to mount it all to. Same goes for the RC circuit for each of the jacks for the probes. You're going to be soldering a boat load of wires and it's going to look like a dogs breakfast. There also doesn't appear to be any openwrt install for anything other than the RasPi since 2013, so I'm not sure how far you'll get going down that path. There's also no storage on the wrt54g, so I don't think you'll be able to backup/restore or use the stash function for cook logs.

The schematic pretty much shows you what you need to connect.

Ultimately, I think you'll be far happier if you got a v4.2.4 board, use the parts you already have and buy the parts that you need to finish the build.

I have been making a heatermeter since when it was known as the linkmeter, and used a linksys router.

Coming from experience, I definitely agree with Steve. Its just not worth it. If you use a linksys, you won't be able to fit everything inside, you will need to add a sd card slot. You'll have tons of wires that will fail over time. If you do get it working, it wont be compatible with a pi and you would need to start over.

Heatermeter uses the same 'brain' as the Uno....You can use the mcp from the Uno to save all of $4-5....swap it back & forth if you wish.
The 'stuff' you don't think you need is all the support circuitry that the Uno builds in (power supply, USB, etc). Some will work with the HM, but you'll have to add a lot more. I'd say that you don't need the Uno & should get the permanent solution of the HM....
You're still going to need resistors for the probes/LED (unless you don't want LEDs period), LCD Pot, etc. A few caps here & there. You'll just be hooking it to a breadboard/headers rather than soldering it to the PCB (or you can fight with a permaboard & run wires all over the little holes...)

It will work fine for prototyping, but you're going to curse it if you try to actually USE it. pull on a probe cable too hard & pull 2 breadboards apart.... Over/under on how long before it happens? I'll set it at 1 hour & take the under......my HM has seen concrete up close more than a couple times & only had the SD card knocked loose.

That's the opinion from somebody who is working to copy the HM onto a beaglebone, just to say I did it. It will have a custom PCB (going to use SMD to try to keep it 'cape' sized). Got some proto-stuff sitting on my desk. Moving it causes screw ups.

Back