Converting a Genesis Silver to a 1000/3000, and other important refurb questions

Hi all;

I recently picked up a Genesis Silver C to refurb for when I don't have the time to mess with charcoal.

I really like the look of the 1000/3000 with the wood shelves, but prefer the flavorizer bar layout of the Silver.

Solution? Buy a Silver/Gold/Platinum and convert to wood shelves.

1) Does anyone have a source for generic Z brackets for the wood shelves?

2) Do the forward foldout table brackets work with the silver/gold/platinum frames? I suspect not, and that's ok.

3) Does anyone know if the square end caps (part 12 in the pic below) fit the frame of the newer model grills?

231001_WW_1.gif

4) Has anyone tried the welded rod grates (and 18ga flavorizer bars) from bbqparts.com? I know about rcplaneparts, and he has a premium product, but am curious if it's worth the extra $40. http://www.bbqparts.com/silverc.htm

5) Now that weber has raised their prices, does it make sense to use ereplacementparts.com? I was disappointed the last time I ordered parts for my kettle... Weber charges full retail nowadays?

6) Does anyone know where I can find the retaining tab for a side burner? It's not a separate part.. If I can't find this, I'll remove the side burner and replace it with a wood table:

IMG_0612.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54yfv6uo7iujcui/IMG_0612.jpg

Finally a 'before' pic:

unnamed.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3x0lj9m43f8sy3/unnamed.jpg

Thank you all!

Can't speak for the eraplacement parts but can for RCPlanebuyer. His are OUTSTANDING. The "E" parts spacing is what you want to know about (space between bars). This is a huge PIA with me on the Weber factory stuff now. I can put my whole finger between the bars on new Weber stuff. The older product was spaced closer and made with 3/8" rod not 5/16". RC makes his with spacing that is tight (food does not fall through) and 3/8" 305SS material.

I had rcplanebuyer build me a set of SS z brackets, I couldn't be more pleased with his products, The set barely fit, but it did with a little precise placing. his parts are even cheaper than weber direct products. I used the SS z brackets to restore a red head 1000, it looks *****en and has a different look than most other restos.

Yes, pics of the z brackets would be appreciated!

I went ahead and ordered the grates from bbqparts.com. Made in USA, and they have the same number of crossbars. The rods are 5/16 instead of 3/8, but after accounting for shipping the price difference is substantial. Both are solid 304. Since this grill won't be used for searing steaks I'm pretty comfortable with the 5/16, but will update with detailed pics when they arrive.

Still looking for an economical source of the z brackets. I need enough for 4 shelves, so going through rcplanebuyer is cost prohibitive for this project.

Also curious if someone with a 1000/3000 has any pictures of the side table brackets where it attaches to the main frame.

Andrew, that sounds great. Can you post some pics? TIA

I'll try to grab some pics when I get home, rcplanebuyer makes the z brackets to order since there is not high demand for them, He needs to know how long they are and how many wood slats fit on it. The SS brackets are made so you are able to paint them if you want them to match the cart, but I went with the SS look. It adds a personal touch. The brackets weren't too expensive I think I paid $98 ( don't quote me) for a set of 13 FB and a set of 3 z bracket sets. He was easy to work with and even gave a discount when you buy more at once. next is a set of the SS grates.

Last edited:
here's what my refurbed silver c looks like...I wanted the wood shelves too but didn't have the time to find the right parts...

I'm happy how mine turned out...

20140613_212352.jpeg

20140613_212231.jpeg

Last edited:
Anthony that looks great! My C is in pieces right now, I sanded them this evening and will paint tomorrow.

I ended up buying the grates and flavorizers from bbqparts.com and am super impressed. I wanted the rcplanebuyer parts but they were +40% $$ after shipping. No doubt quality stuff but out of my price range for what I'm doing with this particular grill.

The bbqparts.com grate is a bit over 8mm thick, VERY thick. The flavorizer bars are ~1.5mm thick. Much thicker than the weber SS that came with my C.

I'll post pics tomorrow or Sunday. Tomorrow is paint day......

Last edited:
Before:
unnamed.jpg

After:
IMG_0868%20%28Medium%29.JPG

I'm extremely happy with the bbqparts.com bars and grates - they're very thick, and would not even begin to bend under a cast iron or turkey. The edges are smoothed down and finished well.

IMG_0870%20%28Medium%29.JPG

My gray DR code performer also got cleaned up:

IMG_0873%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Last edited:
And to answer my questions from the original post:

1) Does anyone have a source for generic Z brackets for the wood shelves? - No luck with this. I looked for z brackets of all shapes/sizes, and the best original replacement is rcplanebuyer but they're $$. I ended up using a brace strip of cedar and like the look. It's not original but is functional.

2) Do the forward foldout table brackets work with the silver/gold/platinum frames? I suspect not, and that's ok. - No but you can drill holes to make the extend tables work.

3) Does anyone know if the square end caps (part 12 in the pic below) fit the frame of the newer model grills? - Yes

4) Has anyone tried the welded rod grates (and 18ga flavorizer bars) from bbqparts.com? I know about rcplaneparts, and he has a premium product, but am curious if it's worth the extra $40. http://www.bbqparts.com/silverc.htm - I went with bbqparts.com and am very happy.

5) Now that weber has raised their prices, does it make sense to use ereplacementparts.com? I was disappointed the last time I ordered parts for my kettle... Weber charges full retail nowadays? - Many parts are cheaper through ereplacementparts.com or even amazon. Weber makes sense if you're buying a BUNCH of stuff.

6) Does anyone know where I can find the retaining tab for a side burner? It's not a separate part.. If I can't find this, I'll remove the side burner and replace it with a wood table. - These retaining tabs are not available other than from a donor grill.

I've done a number of 'burn in' / seasoning cooks with bacon and pork chops, but this is the first real cook. We have company coming over later today so I didn't want to mess with charcoal. Picked up a pack of chicken drummers, did a quick seasoning, and threw them on the grill. So quick and easy.... I love having this gas grill for when I don't have time to fool with charcoal.

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

You did great Jacob. I am still looking for a Genesis to rehab on the Los Angeles area. Would prefer a redhead but I will be happy with what I can find. Love what you did with that beauty.

You did great Jacob. I am still looking for a Genesis to rehab on the Los Angeles area. Would prefer a redhead but I will be happy with what I can find. Love what you did with that beauty.

Thanks, I looked for a couple months to find a good donor. I like the redheads but really wanted the more subtle green.

Back