Low and Slow Ribs on Q320

Mike in Sacramento

TVWBB Member
I'm working on some ribs right now on my Q320. Instead of foil as a heat shield, I'm using my grillgrates. I'm also using some expanded metal on top of the grillgrates to hold the ribs. Using just the middle burner on "4", I've got it settled in at 250 degrees. I sprinkled a few pellets on top of the grillgrates to try to give it some smoke. Here's what I've got after nearly 2 hours. Coming along nicely.

The ribs got done a lot faster than I anticipated. I did the bend test and they're done at about 2 hours 40 minutes. I'm too lazy to foil and all that. I'm hungry now.

Last edited:
I'm working on some ribs right now on my Q320. Instead of foil as a heat shield, I'm using my grillgrates. I'm also using some expanded metal on top of the grillgrates to hold the ribs. Using just the middle burner on "4", I've got it settled in at 250 degrees. I sprinkled a few pellets on top of the grillgrates to try to give it some smoke. Here's what I've got after nearly 2 hours. Coming along nicely
I'm not a big fan of the Q BBQ's (I've got two, I can say that) but they do make some great ribs. Yours look great

Have you tried your ribs directly on the grillgrates? They hold ribs very well for me.
You probably don't need the expanded metal.....but your ribs look great! The pellets work
well on the grillgrates, try the sassafras.

The pellets seemed to impart a slight smokiness to the ribs. I did a previous slab about 2 weeks ago with no pellets and the ribs directly on the grill grates. Those were good, but this round with the pellets added more flavor and color. The pellets didn't smoke up a ton, but they did smoke a little. In the Q on the grill grates, a few pellets go a long way.

Back