Sauce questions. Ph. Canning. Selling. Refrigeration ideas all in one

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
I don't know much about ph testing. I want to get my sauce on the shelves. Big road block is ph testing. What is it? Bochulism comes up. If I wanna sell my sauce on my own, to my friends, can I just make it, bottle it (pint jars) and keeps in fridge. Is this possible? Sorry for the newbieness.

Lot's of info online: https://www.google.com/search?site=...c.1.61.mobile-gws-hp..0.11.1832.3.jozjsyzKvks

You really can’t just can your family recipe. Anything canned in a boiling water bath needs to be high acid. This means that it has to have a pH of 4.5 or below. This is because botulism cannot grow in high acid environments. However, tomatoes are in the grey zone, typically having a pH right around 4.5. Because of this, tomatoes need to be acidified when canned, so that the acid levels are pushed into the safe zone and the pH becomes something lower than 4.5. That’s why all good instructions you’ll find for canning whole tomatoes includes two tablespoons of bottled lemon juice per jar (you can also use citric acid if you prefer).

Last edited:

Back