No video when booting with HM image on Raspberry Pi A+

Antti

TVWBB Member
I could swear I was able to see console output from my RPiA+ when I bought the Pi and installed the latest HM image on it and connected it to my monitor with HDMI. A week later I finished building the PCB, and the same Pi was able to flash HM's firmware, as the menu in HM works fine.

I'm still waiting for UPS to deliver a WLAN dongle, so except for the initial firmware flash I haven't used the Pi with HM. Today I tried to access the GUI with a USB ethernet dongle, but my laptop and switch told that cable was not connected. When I removed the Pi from the PCB and tried to boot it alone with HDMI connected, there was no video output. Green led flashes for about a second, and after that the red led stays lit solid with no blinking.

Does this sound normal to you? Should I be able to see linux booting up? My initial reaction was that I've fried the Pi, but Raspbian boots fine with video. I've done all tricks in the book to get my microsd card formatted, partitioned, cleaned and whatnot to no avail. I've used both Windows and Mac tools. I'm completely lost, and my only hope is that when I get the Edimax, it will somehow start properly even though there is no video output.

My biggest concern is the lack of led activity when power is connected to the Pi. All the FAQs imply that it's not booting correctly, as there should be lots of random blinking. Has anybody else had any issues with the v12 OpenWRT image?

Cheers,
Antti

Hi Antti,
I had problem booting the A+ (and also the B+) with the latest OpenWRT v12 image; The system didn't boot and so I wasn't able to see nothing on the HDMI connected display.
I've found the solution in replacing the existing bootconfig.bin and start.elf with the one you can find in the latest RASPBIAN Debian Wheezy distribution.
In this way everything works well.
I hope this can help you.

Ciao
Mr. Andrea

Yeah if you're using the standard v12 image it probably doesn't boot at all. Use the snapshot image for A+ support. I'm not sure how you got it to boot before because the bootloader doesn't support it, as Andrea has pointed out. You should see video during bootup though.

Also there is no USB ethernet dongle support in HeaterMeter (no drivers) so that's not going to work at all.

You know, I had a prob getting video out of the HDMI on my rPi A+ too.... Puzzled me for a while and then I noticed if I boot the rPi without the HDMI connected then connect it after the rPi boots I get video, if I connect the HDMI before the rPi boots I get no video. Strange but reproducible....

Back