Performer Deluxe Qs

PeteH

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been eyeing a Performer Deluxe (copper color) at my local Ace, waiting for the price to drop since it's a 2014 model. Now they tell me the price won't drop and they have no control over pricing - only Weber does. I've seen Martin From Chicago posted pictures of his new 2015 model and it looks like the table is metal - the 2014 model looks like a plastic table. Can anyone verify that that is a change for the new models? Metal table seems much better. Also, I've seen references to a warming rack accessory for kettles that is new - can anyone confirm that?

I've never had a Performer - was always waiting for a 26" model but need to replace my old kettle sooner than that will ever happen.

Thanks.

Pete, I recently received a Performer Deluxe and I do own a Performer Platinum which I will be selling to a friend. The Deluxe was purchased mostly for it's crimson color. As the story goes the Lady of the House purchased a Crimson Platinum Performer as a Christmas present for me. What I really wanted was the crimson deluxe. The 2014 Platinum Performer cost was $349.00 that I returned and got the Deluxe Performer for $50.00 more. The main reasons that I wanted the Deluxe is for the metal table, which I like. The lid bail on the Deluxe is bigger so the lid sits more vertical giving me a little more room which I also like. The Deluxe also comes with the Weber Gourmet which I also wanted. The other main differences with the Deluxe is the heat defector on the handle and the ignition system takes a battery similar to the ignitions on the Gassers.

Will any of these differences make me cook better of make the grill performer better? The answer is no, but I will use the gourmet system which is about the price difference between the two grills.

Check out my post on the Deluxe:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?57177-My-Review-of-the-Performer-Deluxe

Wow, thanks for all the info James!
Maybe I'm confused or maybe just looking at new nomenclature, but now they just refer to Performers, Performer Premiums, and Performer Deluxes. Do they still make Platinums?
I do like the metal table...

Pete....here is the line up of the 2015 Performers and you can see the different features here.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/performer

I would guess that Weber is no longer producing the Platinum which was replaced by the Deluxe. However I am sure that there are plenty of Platinum's still out there for sale. What you will not find is a Platinum advertised for under $349.00. Weber has a MAP and retailers can not advertise for less than retail price, however Weber can't dictate how much the retailer can sell the grill for. So you have to beat the bushes and actually go to the store to see if they are on sale. I picked up my first performer for half of retail, but that is a rare find. Good luck buddy.

PeteH - If you can get a good enough deal on the 2014, I'd buy it. Weber's thermoset tables were really nice too, and hold up extremely well. I've got an early 2000 model, and absolutely love it. It still has the original table, and if it weren't for me shucking countless dozens of oysters directly on it, the table would still be in perfect shape. Unless you really like to have the latest and greatest, I'm confident the 2014 mdoel will suit you just fine. I will say this, without using one, I'd say the larger bail is a nice change, although I never once thought it was necessary on mine.

Home Depot is closing out the "old" thermoset models at an unadvertised price of $75.03 (if you can find one). I picked one up the other day (a new "old stock") for $50.00. It was unadvertised and sitting in the grill section without ANY price on it. Since I had been given a "heads up" by a gentleman on this forum, I started negotiations with the section manager who called the store manager and since it had a few minor scuffs on it, got it for the $50.00. It is not the 2014 model (doesn't have the timer) and doesn't have gas ignition but I can live with that.

No doubt, there are still a few of the old models still in the stores, and if you look diligently at Home Depots near you, you too may get lucky.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the older models. I have an older Craigs List Performer with gas start that was mistreated by the previous owner. It is still a great grill in spite of it's warts.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I totally agree with Robert. Nothing wrong with an older model Performer. I got a DZ (2008) Performer with gas assist just 2 weeks ago from CL for $40. Previous owner was moving to FLA. and couldn't take it with her. It's black (oh well) and in great shape AND looks really nice with my black roti ring sitting on it. :D

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

I wont comment on how to choose old vs new, because I have a new one and it's awesome, but have never owned a new one.

Yes, metal table is great, but I also don't think the older tables are any worse...

A nice thing is the deeper lid basket... it stands pretty much straight up and out of the way, which seems to be an improvement in visibility and access if you're cooking at an odd angle.

I don't believe the gas ignition system is changed, but it works as expected.

One thing in your first post is regarding the warming rack. I got a new in box performer deluxe from Home Depot last week and did not have a warming rack included, not sure if this is what you were thinking. It does, however, come with the gourmet grate system, so it has a thicker stainless grate and a center section that's removable for their gourmet accessories (dutch oven, wok, skillet etc)... It also has the hinges on the grate for the charcoal baskets.

You can't go wrong with either year, so I'd say follow your deals.

Your local Ace does have control over pricing. Weber does not tell them that they can not discount 2014 models to clear them out.
My local Ace does that every winter. Check some other local Ace stores, there are lots of them out there.

I've seen Martin From Chicago posted pictures of his new 2015 model and it looks like the table is metal - the 2014 model looks like a plastic table. Can anyone verify that that is a change for the new models? Metal table seems much better.

PeteH - For what it's worth, I happen to come across one of the newer Performers today with the metal table. Not sure if it's because I've used my thermoset table for so long, but I wasn't as excited about the metal table as I thought I would be after seeing one in person. The feel of it was a little more industrial than the older thermoset. I'm sure it's still great, but don't let the table be the determining factor, you will love either.

My local ACE had a one day, store wide sale today. I was able to pick-up a Crimson Performer Deluxe at 10% off. The 40 Bucks I saved more than paid for the cover and a bottle of propane.
I'll be grilling a NY Strip tomorrow and swilling down some New Castle Brown Ale while the Daytona 500 is running. :wsm:
Stew
Dunedin, FL

Back