How do you set alarms - sorry for the newb question but I can't seem to figure it out

JeremyK

Hi guys,

I currently want to be cooking at 250° and want to be alerted whenever the temp drops below 225° or goes above 275°.

The alarm notifications are all set up fine but I can't figure out the proper threshold / setpoint settings or why it never seems to alert. (Test alarms work fine)

Here is my configuration:
ScreenShot2015-01-25at113136AM_zpsf3c4d78a.png

What am I doing wrong? Should the thresholds be 225° and 250° or just the 25° variance? Something else altogether?

Thanks!

The threshold should be the actual temp, so 225 for low and 275 for high.

You want to leave the setpoint column empty unless you want to change the setpoint once a threshold has been met.

I tried to use the ramp down script in the wiki, but didn't know how, and what I did definitely didn't work as expected.

- Pit temp is 225
- Finished temperature should be 203
- Ramp down could start e.g. at 180, in 2 degree steps

What I did:
- In alarms, I set Pit high enabled, 180, email, empty setpoint, action ring.
- In alarm scripts, I copied Bryan's Super Ramp Down script to Pit high box, ticked the execute on alarm box

What happened:
- At 180 alarm was set, the HM piezo rang, red popup was shown on the web frontend
- New setpoint wasn't set, it was still 225.

How should I configure the alarms? The wiki page is kind of thin on the exact steps, and (my) intuition isn't enough to figure the correct settings :)

Antti

Do you have sha-bang at the top of your script?

From the wiki:

All scripts

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# The first line of any shell script must begin with the above #! line 
# Comments begin with #

D'oh! I missed that part! Perhaps the shell should be added in the examples... Thanks Steve! Too bad my pork is 7 minutes to ready, too late to play around with rampdown roday :)

I also noticed a problem in the super ramp down script on the wiki

Code:
NEWSP=$((sp-2)
is missing the second closing parenthesis

It should be:

Code:
NEWSP=$((sp-2))

Last edited:
Thanks! I just started smoking beef shoulder overnight, and I was going to rely on the super ramp down script so that I don't need to wake up several times.

My script for 203-205 final temperature is now:

#!/bin/sh
# The first line of any shell script must begin with the above #! line
# Comments begin with #

if [ "$al_thresh" -gt 203 ] ; then
# done
lmclient LMST,sp,122
# disable alarm
al_set -$al_thresh
exit
fi

NEWSP=$((sp-2))
NEWAL=$((al_thresh+2))
lmclient LMST,sp,$NEWSP
al_set $NEWAL

Does this pass your evaluation? The script is in "BeefShoulder" high and the "execute on alarm" is ticked. These are my alarm settings, do they look correct to you?

HMAlarmSettings.png

Last edited:
I see your BeefShoulder high threshold is at 180.

Basing things on the assumption that your pit is at 240:

Once BeefShoulder high temp of 180 is reached, it will lower your pit temp to 238 and set your new BeefShoulder high temp to 182

Once 182 internal is reached, it will lower the pit to from 238 to 236 and set the BeefShoulder high temp to 184

This will keep happening until BeefShoulder high is set to 204. Once BeefShoulder 204 is reached, your pit temp will be lowered to 122

Back