Easier vent adjuster?

Steve R

TVWBB Member
Hey guys. I have a few mods done to my wsm, and I also put it on casters for moving it around on my patio. Anyway, I just got a new charcoal, so now I have to fit three decent sized cookers.

I have a good layout, with the exception that my wsm is backed into a corner on the edge of my patio, and now I have a real hard time getting to the back vent, regardless of how I position/rotate the cooker. I was wondering if anyone has made extended handles to adjust the bottom vents?

I've used my foot to the point where my tabs seem like they shouldn't work. They still do, but I'd like to replace them

Bob...

Very noticeable... especially my initial reaction...
Fascinating how long that burning sensation lasts...
(as well as the impression left by the tab)

If I could adjust it so that I could easily adjust two vents, I wouldn't worry about having the third working at all (leave it closed). My WSM settles in at about 250 - 275 with only one bottom vent open about half way. I think I could do just fine with only two vents.

If I could adjust it so that I could easily adjust two vents, I wouldn't worry about having the third working at all (leave it closed). My WSM settles in at about 250 - 275 with only one bottom vent open about half way. I think I could do just fine with only two vents.

I thought about that, Jerry, but was worried about uneven charcoal burn from one side... although I haven't tried it. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend if I have some spare bbq time.

I have a similar issue and just leave the back vent closed most of the time. It does lead to uneven burning but that doesn't seem to have any negative impact.

The "Cheap n Easy" office chair based stand I use makes 360* MSM access a snap. I am too ham-handed with computers to do a link, but I think that my how-to post is still parked in the OPERATING TIPS & MODs section.

Back