New Mini WSM

MattHanneman

Well new member here but long time reader. Just finished my mini enough to do a test run and my first smoke tomorrow. Seems to be holding temp ok until about the 6 hour mark, but i made a vent can to raise the air holes over the ash and i think that will eliminate the ash buildup blocking air issue.

For the decorative stuff i was torn between the two old weber logos so i modified one of the original logos to say Weber BBQ. My wife picked the color and it looks pretty good. Will take picks of the first cook tomorrow :) Going to be a 5lb shoulder to pull for dinner. I will add i love the maverick 732, makes life easy sitting inside knowing whats happening outside.

Heres a pic for giggles

-Matt

As i set the meat on this morning. I went back and forth on putting the probe in now or after several hours....but i didnt want to open the lid later. So i just did it now and hopefully wont cause any problems since it is often debated. After the first hour or so it seems to have settled in. Temps have held right around 235, the wind is howling today making things interesting but not throwing temps off too much. Very controlled little smoker

That's a fine looking Mini! A Simple ash guard made from a can or small stainless bowl is all you need to keep the lower vents clear. That was the very first modification I made to my original Mini-WSM. A Charcoal basket will also help as the charcoal will burn out more thoroughly leaving less ash. Wind can be a tricky one, but a simple wind block can be made. Get a roll of Reflectix bubble insulation and you can make a wind break and add some insulation super simple. Make a circle out of it leaving a 2" +/- gap all around. I used self adhesive velcro on the two ends to complete the circle.

Our Ace Hardware sells it by the foot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...Staple-Tab-ST24025/100020855?N=5yc1vZasbsZ19n

Nice job, I'm on a mini kick myself.
I've made 3 so far, Thanks to Case for his endless great ideas!

Back