ATC Reccomendation

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm looking to purchase an ATC for my new 18.5 WSM probably in a few weeks after I get a few runs under my belt. What are you guys using and which would you reccomend? I'm not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, just a fairly straightforward and reliable unit

The guru dx2 is what I use and it's real easy to use. I didn't need wifi and all the extra things some offer. Good luck in your choice.

Take a look at the HeaterMeter thread. Works great and you get the satisfaction of building it yourself. Just a thought.

Someone had suggested Auber. Are you familiar with it?
I'm not familiar with the Auber. Also, the guru has good customer support in case you have any issues which I haven't and have used mine a lot during the past two years.

I used to have a Pitmaster IQ but sold it to a fellow TVWBB member. It worked as advertised but I realized I didn't use it more than I did. I am a weekend warrior so didn't need that kind of precision and figured out part of the fun for me is the cook itself. I've become pretty good at locking in temps with just the vents in very few adjustments.

Having said that, there are some instances where precision temp control would come in handy (e.g. when smoking summer sausage). Given those times, I'd probably get the PartyQ. It comes with everything for both my 14.5" and a 22.5" so I would only need one unit and it is battery operated (I RV sometimes and power is not always avail).

Last edited:
What is RV?

RV = Recreational Vehicle. As in "Go RVing". It's another way of saying camping but it's not really camping because I have air conditioning, heat, a bed, TV, generator, shower, bathroom, etc. Sometimes we go places where there is no power to hook up to so I run the generator. But I don't run it constantly so I don't always have elect power. Therefore, a batter powered ATC would be my choice.

Set it and forget it with an ATC, I can do other things now and don't have to worry about the wind. It's gonna control. The algorithm is really dialed in with the DXII.

I have a guru dx, love it and have had great customer service. My first guru was made of plastic and it lasted around 5 years, I was able to trade in my old unit and re-use my fan so it was a minimal investment. the new unit is encased in metal and feels like a really sturdy build.

I've probably used my atc over 100 times, I think it's a great investment.

Last edited:
I love my PartyQ! It does the job and I no longer feel the need to babysit my 18.5. Once the target temp settles in, it's rock solid.

Hope I'm not hijacking here, but Linda, how long do the batteries last on your PartyQ? Do you change them after each cook, or can you get multiple cooks? Thanks.

The guru dx2 is what I use and it's real easy to use. I didn't need wifi and all the extra things some offer. Good luck in your choice.
The DigiQ DX2 is a solid unit. To get remote monitoring, I'm using my Maverick along with it too. You can also use a "Baby Monitor" with video for about $50. ATC lets me do an overnight cook without the worry and doing cat naps to make adjustments.

DigiQ vs. Stoker?

Curious how these compare with the Stoker wifi unit. Seems that one also has lots of capability, but no one commenting on it.

I'm looking to purchase an ATC for my new 18.5 WSM probably in a few weeks after I get a few runs under my belt. What are you guys using and which would you reccomend? I'm not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, just a fairly straightforward and reliable unit

I'd say it depends on how much you want to spend and what features you really want.

If you have a Maverick probe setup already and are looking for a simple and reasonably priced ATC, I'd recommend a PartyQ. You can save some $ over the DigiQ and pair it with the Maverick (run two meat probes).

DigiQ I've heard is great also, set it and forget it. Very easy to use plus you can add more meat probes.

I have a CyberQ and love it. I smoked six shoulders Christmas Eve with three probes running. Then I remembered I had my Maverick and ran two more meat probes for the heck of it. Talking about a lot of wires!!!

Guru Digi-Q rocks!!! Mine messed up a couple times where it would say the fan was running but it actually wasn't. I emailed and they sent me back a shipping label, repaired it at no cost and sent it back. Can't ask for more than that. Works great and they're nice folks.

Back