Need help with leftover butts

Darrell_K

So my first 4 pork butts turned out great. I fed 20 folks and still have leftovers. I followed the directions on this website in the sauces and everything. Tomorrow some family is coming over and we will finish off the pork. What do you recommend to reheat and moisten the meat?

Again thanks!:)

So my first 4 pork butts turned out great. I fed 20 folks and still have leftovers. I followed the directions on this website in the sauces and everything. Tomorrow some family is coming over and we will finish off the pork. What do you recommend to reheat and moisten the meat?

Again thanks!:)
My wife and I use a 400 degree oven, pork wrapped in foil for 20-30 mins.

When I pull pork I add some apple cider to it, it brings out some wonderful flavors. If I have leftovers I vacuum seal them, adding a little more cider to the bag before sealing. Same with reheating, pour a little cider on and mix it up and toss it in the oven to warm.

Times and temps can vary but add a little liquid, cover, and into the oven you will be good to go.

We vacuum seal leftovers in relatively small portions and they are one of our favorite ingredients for everything from pasta to quiche. Not a single piece goes to waste at our house.

Nothing better than freezing portions, once you start putting it in soup beans, cooked greens etc, you'll never buy another ham hock.

Oh wait, that didn't answer your question at all did it? ;)

I foil, cider vinegar, a little apple juice if you have it, your favorite sauce, 300 degrees in the oven, or throw it in the crockpot.

We deliberately make about twice the pulled pork (or more than we immediately need). We vacuum pack the remainder in two people's portions and freeze. It is easy to re-heat by adding a bit of apple juice.

Incidentally, you can buy, in most super markets, small paper containers (with great shelf life) of apple juice so you don't have to open a large container when reheating the pulled pork. It works well when foiling ribs, too as well as making injection liquid for the Boston Butts.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Put in a zip lock baggy,put baggy in a crock pot filled most of the way with water,turn crock pot on low until warm.

Put in a zip lock baggy,put baggy in a crock pot filled most of the way with water,turn crock pot on low until warm.

I do something similar to this ^^^^. I vacuum pack and freeze any left overs and then when I want to eat, I put the package in boiling water. The pork comes out about as good as when you put it in the bag.

In the situation of the OP, when I'm re-heating left overs before I package them, (don't shoot me) I just use the microwave. One thing you have to do in using the microwave is use one of the low power settings. If you zap it at 100% it will be hot quick but ruined. I usually put a small portion in a bowl with some BBQ sauce and hit it for a couple minutes on 50% power. Add a bun and some slaw and you have a great sammy.

When I foil the butt during cooking, I also place it in a foil pan. A significant amount of juices accumulate in the foil pan and I save those juices at the end of the cook. I strain it and then chill it to separate out the fat. I then freeze the remaining strained liquids in ziplock bags. Whenever I reheat pulled pork, I always reheat with some of the saved liquids and it turns out really good. I also do this with brisket.

Back