First cook complete! Now I have two questions re: saving cooks and alarms to 2 people

JeremyK

Hi guys,

The heatermeter was a gift for my brother. He and I did our first cook this weekend after making several modifications to our smoker (will post that thread when I have a chance to take pics). He was super impressed as was I, such a great device. Thanks to all who have forged the path!

Question 1: Is there a way to automatically save cooks? I can't seem to find anything about it other than perhaps needing to hit the stash button before turning off the HM? Is that the case? Any way to automate it? My brother powered it down and we lost all the data :(

Question 2: Is it possible to send alarm SMS / emails to multiple people? We generally cook together and in the instance one of us wasn't there it would be nice to know the other would get alarms without the need to reconfigure.

Thanks!

Jeremy

1: There is an autosave where it backs up the current database every 5 minutes. However the database only holds 24 hours so it will appear blank if the device is off for 24 hours. Time is continuous though, so there's no telling when to automate the saving of the database. When HeaterMeter is running it doesn't really know when a cook begins or ends, it just just records data when it is running.

2: The email / sms doesn't support multiple recipients. I might make the email one support it by adding multiple addresses in the edit box, but probably not the SMS because the UI would get more complicated and it already is a bit overwhelming.

I kinda like the idea of an autoarchive function and I thought about how maybe I could get it to work. I'm currently testing it with a flow that when the device boots, the autobackup is restored *and* copied to the stash path using a filename based on the last data point date. I need to see if this generates a ton of extra stash files or has some other downside.

The real problem is that once you use the stash you realize how limited it is and everyone will have more feature requests for the stash!

It only stores the graph, none of the configuration so you can't see details like the names of the probes or anything. There's also not any record of alarms going off or any way to save notes or annotate so it's not all that helpful.

Question 2: Is it possible to send alarm SMS / emails to multiple people? We generally cook together and in the instance one of us wasn't there it would be nice to know the other would get alarms without the need to reconfigure.

Thanks!

Jeremy

There are indirect ways you could go about sending multiple emails / HM alerts.

1 way would be to setup an email forward from either of your accounts, to each other, based on a keyword rule. Many email providers allow the use of a plus sign in the email address ie: jeremy@example.com would be your main email address but you could also receive email to jeremy+heatermeter@example.com. If you can create a rule that forwards all email sent to jeremy+heatermeter@example.com to brother_of_jeremy@example.com or even brother_of_jeremy+heatermeter@example.com, you'd both receive the email alerts.

Another option would be to create another email account and forward any emails sent to that one, to both you and your brother. I know for a fact you can do this with gmail.

If either of you are using the iOS Pit Meter app, you could both subscribe to push notifications

You'll both receive an email with a configuration example that needs to be added to the heatermeter scripts, but you'll need to tweak things slightly for it to send 2 alerts.

Example:

Code:
json="{\"device_token\":\"1020304050\",\"pn\":\"$pn\",\"al_type\":\"$al_type\",\"al_thresh\":\"$al_thresh\",\"pcurr\":\"$pcurr\"}"

json2="{\"device_token\":\"4455667788\",\"pn\":\"$pn\",\"al_type\":\"$al_type\",\"al_thresh\":\"$al_thresh\",\"pcurr\":\"$pcurr\"}"

curl -q -k -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d "$json" https://example.com/pitmeter/api/pushnotification
curl -q -k -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d "$json2" https://example.com/pitmeter/api/pushnotification

The "curl" commands above replace the original command that comes with the push alerts email and doesn't require the installation of the openssl-util package, which drastically simplifies things.

Last edited:

Back