Silver skin

Al S.

Hi everyone,
Just saw an episode of Diners, drive-ins & dives where they were showing ribs being rubbed & smoked without removing the silverskin, but removing it after the ribs were cooked, before serving. The pitmaster said this helped the ribs retain more moisture, and they sure looked like it. Anyone ever try this? How did they turn out?
Thanks,
Al S.

Are you talking about the membrane? I do ribs all the time with the membrane and don't really notice any difference. I remove it with my teeth when eating them.

Most likely the Membrane. I've done both. IMO the Membrane has no effect on the moisture or tenderness. Just the chew. Moisture and tenderness come from the PH in the ribs and most importantly the "PITMASTER" That's were the difference is.

I've never heard of anyone attempting to remove the membrane after cooking. Those who leave it intact either do nothing to it or score it in a diamond pattern, I guess in hopes it will somehow eat easier.

I always remove the membrane because I don't enjoy it. I've been to a lot of places that leave it on and its not necessarily a deal breaker. I seriously doubt it contributes to moisture retention. With it off you can get more rub on the meat. The only real reason I see to leave it on is if you are cooking a lot of racks and don't want to take the time which makes sense for a big bbq restaurant.

Back