Protective (Weatherproof) Case For CyberQ or Stoker?

Mike D

TVWBB Member
Hey All -

I was just wondering if any of you use any kind of protective case to protect your temp control systems when you're using them in rainy weather? My understanding is that the CyberQ is not waterproof (not sure about the Stoker?).

If so, what case are you using? Is it something you bought commercially or are you rigging something up yourself to use?

EDIT: one more question: Does the case interfere in any way with the wifi signal?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! - M

Last edited:
Most supermarkets sell plastic food storage boxes. They do not interfere with wifi. And they are cheap.

The plastic box idea is a really good one. I'm thinking you could cut a few slots in the back of it for the probes and wires. You could attach a little plastic awing over the slot holes to protect from a driving rain.

I use a cooler that I cut a notch in with a heating pad and blankets for cold weather cooking but I'm sure it would work great for rain also.

here's my example

I took the plastic box idea and implemented it. Picture below. I cut slots in both ends and then used the plastic from the slot hole and duct tape to make a auto closing awning, sort of. Inside the box is a 1st generation Stoker and a NUC PC directly connected to the Stoker and running the Stoker-web server that Gary Bak did. It's described in the sticky section of the forum:Automatic Temperature Control Systems

211ur09.jpg

Last edited:
If you are talking about the Stoker blower fan, then I build an awning over it with a stiff plastic sheet and duct tape to keep the rain out. I also put the power bricks in a plastic bag. But I try to put a tent up to keep most of the rain away. All this stuff just takes care of the little bit of moisture that gets under the tent.

For the Stoker controller and WiFi adapter, I use a plastic Rubbermaid box with a lid that locks down. There is still enough room to run the cords out the top around the sides under the lid (so no holes are cut in the box). I keep a heating pad in there during cold cooks. To protect the Stoker fan, I cut a piece of flashing and rolled it up and secured it. I slide the fan cord through the flashing till the end of the flashing is up against the adapter base of the fan. The rolled up flashing is about 10" long so it covers the fan from the rain, but still allows plenty of air to the fan.

Back