BBQ IQ110 - Worth It or Not

Brian B.

TVWBB Fan
I've been reading through the thoughts on the forum here and the reviews on Amazon and it seems to be a mixed bag. There are what appear to be some valid concerns regarding the build quality and some other people who swear by how well it works. It also looks like you need to immediately replace a few of the plastic parts so they don't melt to your smoker.

I have an 18.5 WSM and would love to get more overnight temperature control, but don't want to throw away $140.

Thanks

Brian

I too have pondered a temp controller, same concerns you have, there are just enough reports of issues with them it seems like an expensive risk.

What kind of temperatures can you hold over a 8-9 hour period right now ?

I've had mine long enough that unless the outside temperature is extreme, I can hold the right temp for shoulder. It would just be nice to have something that would allow for a more hands off approach on overnight cooks.

I use a WSM 22.5 with a Pitmaster IQ120. Last week I cooked a brisket using a 16.6# bag of charcoal and some wood chunks. I started cook at 5PM and set IQ 120 for 250. I am a light sleeper so was able to check temp with aid of Mav 732 frequently. Never woke up to less than 240. At 7AM I pulled brisket with cooker doing 240 and fuel remainng.

I've had my IQ110 for 3 years and I have no complaints. Is the set temperature exact...NO, however, when you set the IQUE at 250 it will hold temps within 2-3 degrees of 250 one way or the other and that's close enough for me. Does it have all the bells and whistles of other much more expensive ATC's...NO, but it does what it advertises and IMHO, it does it well.

I do not like the IQ 110 I bought one, while testing it at 20 deg before set point it told me I was over temp (checking against 2 mavericks) asked for help and was told my thermometors were not accurate. they thing their stuff dont stink. I sent it back

This is what John uses in building his units.The case is 0.100" polycarbonate, the material used in expensive medical instrument enclosures. The air tube is 0.063" EPDM, manufactured by the same guys that make respirator hoses for firefighters.The probe is delicate and requires care in handling; you have to be gentle when passing it under the lid.

Hope this helps.

I have a PartyQ and a DigiQ by BBQ Guru. I actually prefer the PartyQ since it is so simple and I don't do the temp ramping things. Since you have an 18.5 and not a 22.5 it will work great on your WSM. With the adapter is is $159. That would be my recommendation if you are looking at a temp control. I actually just ordered a second PartyQ so I can use the PartyQs on my 14 and 18 and the DigiQ on the 22.

I quit using mine. My 22.5 WSM does fine without it. Quit doing overnight cooks and went to Hot & Fast instead.

I used it all the time when I had a UDS. Worked great on that.

Thinking about just selling it.

I like my IQ110. I also clip the probe to my et733, so they are both reading temp at the same spot. They are within tolerance to each other.

Got my WSM as high as 350 with water pan in place and a smooth 225 for brisket overnight...

I like it and think it's the easiest one out there...

IQ 120 - WSM 18 - Brisket

I used the IQ120 for the first time last night to smoke a 9.5 lb brisket. The WSM18 initially overshot so I closed the top vent, then it undershot. I opened the top vent about 1/4" and set the "FAn SPEEd" to 5 so it would stoke up the coals again and that worked out pretty good. When the temperature began coming back up, I set the fan back to automatic "0" and I was able to keep the temperature at 230° for more than 5 hours. Then at a meat temp of 150°, raised the temp to 260° for another couple of hours... The coals were still bright (in the dark) when the WSM was broken down at a bit over eight hours...(Minion Method) so it could have gone on for more hours.

The IQ120 may be overkill with sophistication for average use, but it is versatile and very easy to use and program. That temperature raise at the meat temp could have been programmed in and then totally automatic. I had reservations about it when my wife bought it but it makes long term or overnight smoking dog-gone easy! This device will increase the frequency and satisfaction with the use of this smoker. Should have bought one long ago!

Thanks,
BC

Last edited:
I have the Pitmaster IQ 120. I really only use it for long / overnight cooks. The IQ keeps the temps where I want them, the Maverick gives me something to look at to keep me sane. Do you have to have an ATM with a WSM? No. I like the safety net of having it though...

Back