Newbie with questions on mods

JoeSebesta

Hello! Great site here, learning quite a bit. Just a few questions. I don't have my bullet yet but I have some gift cards from xmas burning a hole in my pocket and plan on ordering a 22.5 in the next month. I am currently running at 18" brinkmann electric gourmet. This will be a welcomed upgrade!

1 - I'd like to address the door right off the bat, my question is whether or not I need to get a seal and the cajun bandit or just one or the other?

2 - The extra charcoal grate for using lump charcoal, do I purchase the exact same size as the one that comes with it or a smaller size? Seems like there are varying ways to go about this?

3 - I'd like to add the handles for the cooking section, are the garage door handles the only options that don't require any fabrication? it would be nice to have something that looks a little more OEM or polished.

Thanks all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

First welcome to the site.

1. The first thing I did when I got my WSM22 was install the nomex gasket from bbqgaskets.com. They are a good company to deal with and very responsive to questions. After a year and a half I just ordered the cajun bandit door and a new handle. I have not had any leaks since I got the WSM. New door is just because it looks so good.

2. I just bought the charcoal grate from Home Depot. You can find different ways to do it by searching the Mods section of the site.

3. I ordered new handles from Weber and made the metal brackets for them. Looks good but makes the cover very tight.

Enjoy

Hello and welcome to the forum. You'll likely get a lot of answers but let me start with the following:
1. I wouldn't bother getting a new door until you've tried the one that comes with the unit. You can always get one later. I have not done either the gasket or the new door because I do not ever open my door and through a little bit of shaping, it seals very well. If I was to do anything, I would get the cajun bandit door. It looks cool and will likely seal well enough so that you wouldn't need a gasket.

2. The extra grate for the charcoal needs to be a little smaller than the one that comes with it. I really recommend this mod but I don't know the right size for the 22.5 as I have an 18. Basically, it needs to fit inside of the charcoal ring so measure that and find a grate that will fit. It doesn't have to fit perfect to work. I also recommend getting some stainless steel wire and wire the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate so you can lift it out as a basket. Don't wire in the smaller one, just the one that came with the unit to the charcoal ring.

3. As with #1., wait to see if you even need the handles. I never pull my center section off during a cook. If you do want them, there are other options than the garage door handles. I saw one mod where the person ordered handles for a weber grill and used those. It looked pretty sweet.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks Bob, Jerry. In terms of the handles, don't the weber handles require some sort of fabrication or modification in order to get them to work? From the mod section linked from the home page and per bobs comments above, it seemed it was the case.

I just use the stock door. Works great.

The second charcoal grate used on the 22" is for the 18". It fits inside the ring. But is only really required for lump.

The Weber handles do require some fab. The garage door handles just require some persuasion. However, even though I have them installed I rarely use them.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
If you don't mind drilling four holes, than there was a thread where someone ordered the Weber fireplace handles& brackets. I tried finding it doing a search but, no luckee.:)

Tim

Back