Buzzer on HM 4.2.4 not working

Aaron Morris

TVWBB Member
So I just built my first heatermeter. The first time it powered up I heard a wierd dying beep from the speaker, and then the LCD powered up and the AVR was probably flashed and it all came to life. Everything works great, but I've never heard the beeper since. Does it work in the test alarm feature? I do not have a blower/server connected as I'm using my HM with my traeger as just a temp probe.

Love the project though. I'm thinking it's either the beeper or the transistor that went bad.

Thanks,
Aaron

Scratch that, the beeper went off when it reached alarm. Guess it all works.. just the test feature doesn't actually fire it off.

Yup you nailed it. The test feature triggers the alarm then it immediately turns off. It was made for testing the email/sms feature more than anything else. You do raise a good point which is that it should do whatever action you have it set to do. I'll put that on the TODO list.

Thanks for all the hard work, this project is amazing. I've had a Rpi B sitting on the shelf for a year and meant to build this last year. Glad I waited for 4.2.4.. it is fantastic.

Now if someone can figure out how to make it control a Traeger, I'll be blown away!

I looked into this this weekend. The "alarm test" only triggers on the Pi as a way of testing SMS/Email only. The HeaterMeter itself doesn't actually go into alarm condition so the buzzer never sounds. I'm not sure I'll change this because it adds code to the HeaterMeter for something I don't think would get a lot of use, but I will keep it on the TODO list just in case.

Back