temperature regulation question

Mickey M

Closed Account
Hi,

Smoked a small chicken today. 2.93 lbs.

Set-up;

SJS mini wsm. Using Kingsford competition coals in a smoke ring, 30 total.
25 unlit around the ring, 5 glowing coals in the center.

In 15 minutes temp was 250, 10 minutes later temp was 325. This was with top and bottom vents about 1/8 open.

When it reached 340 10 minutes later, I filled pie pan diffuser with water and closed both upper and lower dampers completely.

Temp decreased slowly for 40 minutes until it settled at 275.

It took about 2 hours and 15 for the chicken's internal temp to hit 165.

I'd like to get the mini to run a little cooler. I never did get it under 275 even after closing the dampers entirely.

Am I using too many coals? How can I get down to 250 degrees and stay there?

Thanks

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd use a clay defuser. I run a 10" when I want temps north of 300 and a 12" when I want them south. No water, just foil (for easy clean up)
I leave my top vent wide open all them time (unless battling a flare up) and when wanting temps > 300, bottom vents also wide open. When I want 250 degrees, my bottom vents are closed about half way

My typical payload of charcoal is about two deep, full spread

Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? I haven't used the comp briquettes, but have heard they burn at a higher temp, compared to regular Kingsford. I did a cook on my Mini yesterday and didn't have any issues getting a consistent 225 for over 5 hours, using regular Kingsford. No water...

Is there more common terminology for "clay diffuser?"

Terra cotta saucer from the box stores. Same thing you find under plant pots. ;)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Norcal-Pottery-6-in-Terra-Cotta-Saucer-100043036/100124063

f9f83053-8df7-4ceb-a9b3-258e00c770fa_400.jpg

I did a cook on my Mini yesterday and didn't have any issues getting a consistent 225 for over 5 hours, using regular Kingsford. No water...

Jason,

Would you describe your setup?

Minion or some other charcoal arrangement?

Did you use a charcoal ring? How much charcoal? How were your vents (dampers) set? Did you use a heat deflector (diffuser)? If so, what type?

Consistent 225 for 5 hours? INcredible.

Any adjustments of any kind? Did you have to add charcoal?

I'm jealous.

Last edited:
Jason,

Would you describe your setup?

Minion or some other charcoal arrangement?

Did you use a charcoal ring? How much charcoal? How were your vents (dampers) set? Did you use a heat deflector (diffuser)? If so, what type?

Consistent 225 for 5 hours? INcredible.

Any adjustments of any kind? Did you have to add charcoal?

I'm jealous.

Here is the link to my set-up.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?53585-My-Mini-build-with-pics

All of my cooks on this thing are with very little, to no wind. Realistically, it takes about 45 minutes or so, to get the temp stablized, after putting the meat on. Top vent wide open and bottom vent almost closed to half open to get 225-275.

Here is the link to my set-up.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?53585-My-Mini-build-with-pics

All of my cooks on this thing are with very little, to no wind. Realistically, it takes about 45 minutes or so, to get the temp stablized, after putting the meat on. Top vent wide open and bottom vent almost closed to half open to get 225-275.

Jason,

How do you place the briquets to get a good low and slow burn like that?

And do you dump hot coals over the unlit coals? Place lit coals in the center of the unlit?

The more specific you are, the better.

Thanks

Jason,

How do you place the briquets to get a good low and slow burn like that?

And do you dump hot coals over the unlit coals? Place lit coals in the center of the unlit?

The more specific you are, the better.

Thanks

I have only done low temp cooks (225-275) in this cooker, and always start the same way ( I don't always count the coals haha! ). I do vary the wood, depending on what I'm cooking though. I put the burning coals very tight to the center, so they burn slowly outward. So far, I have no reason to change this method for what I tend to cook in this thing, as it is extremely consistent. A few racks of Baby Backs, OR a single pork shoulder are the usual cuts for my Mini. I have used regular KBB and Stubbs briquettes, with the Stubbs being my favorite for sure! Cold and windy conditions are not that common where I live, so that could be helping with burn times.

There are 101 briquettes in this pile with some Hickory wood. I put 8 burning briquettes in the middle to get the cook started.

14743482744_670338de7c_c.jpg

The mini is hands down one of the easiest smokers to control temps on. With practice you will be able to get to sit just about anywhere you want.

For chicken I honestly would have kept the temps up above 325°, I like crisper skin and for us we get enough smoke flavor. With that said. If you want lower temps it is easy to control with the mini, at least using the silver with a set up like I have. The best method that I have found, hands down for lighting the mini is with a torch through the side vent. If you do not have a side vent you can remove the pot and torch one side until you have 3-4 lit coals. I always start with a full basket, and two to four (depends on length of smoke) chunks of 2"-3" wood for smoke on top. My full basket usually consists of partially spent fuel from the smoke before and whatever new it takes to refill the basket. If I am planning a long smoke then I start with all fresh and I overfill the basket. For hotter cooks I only use the steamer insert that came with the pot for a diffuser. For lower temp smokes, anything under 285° I use either a 10" terracotta planter tray (wrapped in foil) or I have a 8" x 10" x 1" thick chunk of granite wrapped in foil. When I start I have all of my vents wide open. Torch goes in one side and I torch the coals for 3-5 minutes. The temp gauge is going to go off the hook when doing this. When I hit 400° I pull the torch and let things settle. Typically it will drop back to 180°-200°. If I am doing a low temp cook I let it go at that point. If I am doing a high temp cook I will torch through the opposite side vent. Once again until I hit 400°, then pull the torch. Typically things will then settle to just below 300°. I will then let that go until I get to my target temp. If I'm in a big hurry I will torch again.

One thing to mention is its way easier with the mini to increase temps. That being said if I am cooking a large hunk of meat like a butt, a picnic, bottom round roast, anything that has a large thermal mass I will shoot about 15-20 degrees above my targeted pit temp.

So once I get the mini lit to control temp I start by closing down the lower vent. Then I move on to the side vents. If I only lit one side I will start closing that side first and then I alternate sides closing a little at a time until I hit a stable temp. Honestly If I am with in 5 degrees +/- and the thing wants to run there that's where I set it. Depending on weather I know that 265° is a sweet spot that one of my mini's likes to run at. Note that I leave the top vent open all of the time. The only time it gets closed is when I snuff the fire.

Snuffing the fire once the smoke is done I close all of the vents, remove the pot and put the lid on the base. At the next cook I shake the ash from the basket ans re-fill, or if doing a mega long cook I grab my spare basket and start with all fresh.

I smoke year round in all kinds of weather and I can say that the mini as I have it set up is one of the easiest smokers to use in inclement weather. Wind is probably the one factor that will kill you on temp control. But having a good shield or even an insulating shield like reflectix insulation will solve that problem.

Early on I spent a bunch of time testing the mini with various setups. The setup and the methods that I use today is the result of those tests. Its still a test in progress as every smoke is a chance to try something new and improve on the smokes prior.

14650485877_1fd2bf501a_b.jpg

Side light method. Note this can also be done on the gold and that is actually where I learned about this method from another mini smoker that has a gold and uses the side light.

14650280870_0fab8a2c8b_b.jpg

Mega light for a ubber hot cook (This how I light for the Mini-ZA) And yes there is a fire extinguisher and hose just out of view!

14605158984_8f340b2e44_b.jpg

I even light the SMJ for grilling using the side light method, usually both sides, or I'll use the Mega torch method.

14287262661_5ca1e0974b_b.jpg

Are any of you using a water tray of any sort? I have been using a 10" diameter by 3" inch deep cake pan as a water tray and have been unable to achieve the temperatures that you talk about. I tried it with just the water tray and again with a clay heat diffuser under the cake pan. I seem to average about 180-210 throughout a cook. I am wondering if it is easier to achieve the higher temps without the water. Any ideas? Thanks.

Are any of you using a water tray of any sort? I have been using a 10" diameter by 3" inch deep cake pan as a water tray and have been unable to achieve the temperatures that you talk about. I tried it with just the water tray and again with a clay heat diffuser under the cake pan. I seem to average about 180-210 throughout a cook. I am wondering if it is easier to achieve the higher temps without the water. Any ideas? Thanks.
Welcome Howie

No water for me (in any of my smokers)

I use a 8" clay saucer when I want a "hot" indirect cook (250-275)
I use a 10" clay saucer when I want a "warm" indirect cook (225-250)
When I want a direct cook, I don't run any saucer, I see temps from 275 to well over 300, depending how many lit charcoals I dump on my unlit charcoal (at start up)

Ditch the water pan. They are not needed and is probably the root of your problem. Need more info on your setup though. Are you using a silver or gold SMJ? Did you cut the bottom out of the tamale pot or just drill holes? The more info you give on your setup the better we can diagnose you issues.

I have one silver and one gold. Today I did a test cook today with my silver. 30 total coals. Started with 10 coals in the starter chimney and 20 in a tight circle in the cooker. I used a 12" clay saucer over the cut out bottom of my IMUSA STEAMER pot. The temp ranged between 160-180 degrees.

Saturday I will try the same with a 10" clay saucer to see what that gives me. I would appreciate any other suggestions.

I think the effect of fuel type and smoker body can affect things greatly.
I gave up using various coal rings and fuel mine with one full measure of restaurant grade hardwood charcoal and one full chimney starter.
This will give me a consistent top temp of 250 mid temp of 220 (weber gauges) for the duration of the fuel load 6 - 8 hrs. I've not been able to get my smoker up to 350 but I think my stainless body radiates a lot away.
Top vent wide open bottom vents wide open. I use a foiled terracotta diffuser 8" I think. At the moment I try to get a nice bark on for about 4-5 hours then put some boiling water in to broil it

Back