PSB Substitute Ideas?

Tim Mulvihill

TVWBB Fan
Hello everyone,

Been away for a bit - wife and I lost our minds and decided to both attend Masters programs and adopt a baby all at the same time. :)

Question of the day - I've got my 3+ lb Chuck roast, green peppers and onions, but no stouts in the fridge. I do however have some miller lite, goose island 312, and goose island IPA. I can also tap into the wife's Cabernet.

Any recommendations for replacing the stout?

Thanks,
Tim

I would think that the aromatics coming from the IPA would be a decent additive, obviously it'll end up being different, but it may be worth a try. I wouldn't bother trying to cook with the ML, I think it'd be the same as adding water. The 312 might be good too, if it's the Pale I'd be choosing between that and the IPA, if it's the wheat... I dunno, it'd still be a tough choice for me. :)

Drink the IPA. Use the others for cooking. :) Just kidding! I think I've heard a million times that you should only use it for cooking, if you would drink it. Personally, I'd make a road trip (get some stout) and not mess with a good cook.

I did a PSB using Cabernet Sauvignon and beef broth and it came out excellent. I agree with V_Rocco if you want the real deal it's road trip time for the real stout.

I'd go for any decent porter or stout (Guiness barely counts as a Stout imho ;) ), IPA if you're not running to the store. The 312 (pale wheat ale) might be good....I've yet to meet a pale ale I dont like.

Only worry with the IPA is that if its overly bitter that may come through. Probably not an issue in a dish like that but I made a BBQ sauce w a bitter beer and it was way to bitter. Sauce got cooked down and reduced though which concentrated the bitterness. Throw a TBS of Molasses in w the 312! Thats my vote.

Looks like I am the odd man out. I'd go 312. After brewing them for more than a few time i can honestly say I'm not an IPA fan.

Back