Finally getting my chance

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was not cooking for Thanksgiving, but was able to get a turkey breast into Larry's JD Maple Syrup brine a few hours ago. I'll take it out in the morning to dry and will cook it for din-din tomorrow. Updates with pics to follow.

Not my best effort, but even when not done well, this recipe is good! I had a heckuva time getting the temp up for some reason and never got over 275. As a result, I did the first 90 minutes or so on the WSM, and finished in the oven at 375 to brown/crisp it up. Had some butternut squash to go with it. The squash was really good, but next time, I'll roast it on the Performer.

Had a little of this for dessert:

Last edited:
Chuck,

There's some leftover dessert for you, but that's about it. :D

BTW: That butternut squash is excellent and so simple. Diced up (had about 2lbs), 2-3 TBS of EVOO, 2-3 cloves of minced garlic, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, and about half a tennis ball sized onion sliced thinly. Toss it all together in a bowl. Roast in a single layer on a baking sheet at 400 for 25-30 minutes, or until it is lightly browned.

Cliff: The recipe for the brine comes from member, LarryR. The thread can be found here in "Turkey Talk".

Back