Newbie from Sydney, Australia

Dave Robbo

hey,

First off hi all.

So after researching and browsing, the HM is what will best suit my needs.

A few questions that I am having trouble with understanding.

1. Can the standard heatermeter use wifi to display temps on my phone (android) or do I need a raspberry pi to do this.
2. Anyone know of any australian suppliers
3. I see that HM is compatible with raspberry pi b, how much longer til B+ is supported.

cheers

Dave Robbo

You just went International Bryan!

Answer to Question 1. You will need the Rpi to accomplish this.

Answer to 2 and three.....? I know B+ doesn't work with the current design, but with all the brilliant people that have contributed to this awesome device, I'm sure the current version isn't the last.

I know for a fact Heater Meters have been built in England, Scotland, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Australia, Canada and I would guess many more countries in addition to that....

I have built them here in the UK and order the parts from Mouser using the project form on the wiki. It more time efficient than trying to find the components locally.

Thanks for the welcome folks.

So I think I will order a kit complete from mouser or digikey, and source a RPi B locally.

Also, I am having trouble understanding what the USB port and wifi adapter does on the HM board. Can some one simplify its function for me.

cheers

Thanks for the welcome folks.

So I think I will order a kit complete from mouser or digikey, and source a RPi B locally.

Also, I am having trouble understanding what the USB port and wifi adapter does on the HM board. Can some one simplify its function for me.

cheers

Ok, to be completely clear, the typical path to build a HM has been to order a circuit board from OSH Park, then use the BOM links to order the parts from Mouser AND a few parts from Digikey then you have all the parts to build the bare Heater Meter. You wont get a Heater Meter "kit" from Mouser or Digikey. Bryan has recently started selling the HMv4.2 boards with the SMD Thermocouple parts installed on them and also has a kit available now with all the parts to build the basic Heater Meter (See first post in the Heater Meter v4.2 Hardware thread). Whichever way you get your parts now you have a basic (stand alone, not web enabled) Heater Meter. There is no USB port or WiFI adapter on the Heater Meter board, there is a CAT5 jack on the HM board but that is not for network connection, it is used to connected the blower and (optional) servo to the HM.

When you add the rPi (Model B or A+) to the HM is when the USB, LAN and WiFi comes in. The rPi B will have 2 USB ports and a LAN port (in addition to the HDMI and RCA video output and audio outputs), the rPi A+ will have just one USB port (and audio and HDMI output). You add the rPi with a USB WiFi adapter to the HM if you want to have the connection to your computer so you can manage the HM and view the live cook web page etc (most people want this cause it greatly enhances the Heater Meter experience...) by connecting the HM to your WiFi network, and if you use the a WiFi adapter that runs the RT5370 chipset the HM can also run in Access point mode where you can connect directly to it with a WiFi enabled device (such as a smart phone, laptop etc). Optionally if connected to a WiFi router you can access your HM web page through the internet (or your smart phone) from anywhere in the world by forwarding port 80 on your router to the HM....

Thanks for the reply ralph, that cleared things up alot.

Being in Australia, I think its easiest to just source the kit complete from tindie (unfortunately thermo couple kits out of stock 12/17/14). Have contacted the seller to ask when they will be ready to ship again.

I have managed to pickup a RPi B and Realtek rtl8192cu wifi for AUD$50.19 inc shipping and taxes. It was cheaper to get the RPi B (~$38) and Wifi (~$12), then to just get the RPi on its own, once total invoice is over $45 shipping is FREE. Also in the 5hrs since I placed my order over 100 RPi B models have been sold!!!

cheers

Dave Robbo

(now to sit back and await availability of a kit and shipping to Aus... I better grab a beer or six or more :cool:)

Welcome, Dave! I'm in Australia as well (Kalgoorlie, WA). Good to see some Aussies interested in slow grillin' (I'm from the US, working in Au).

Cheers,
Will

Back