WSM or Electric?

JoeMarcum

TVWBB Member
I know where i am, but i want to put this out there anyway. It has been stated that electric smokers are much easier to use and embody the exact same flavor of the coal/wood smokers like the WSM.

I know many of you will be die hard about this, but at the end of the day, is it really worth going with a WSM over an electric unit?

I know where i am, but i want to put this out there anyway. It has been stated that electric smokers are much easier to use and embody the exact same flavor of the coal/wood smokers like the WSM.

I know many of you will be die hard about this, but at the end of the day, is it really worth going with a WSM over an electric unit?

It depends. If you want to put your meat in a smoker, walk away, and leave it for hours to do something else and come back when it's done, an electric is for you. If you enjoy the cooking process, get the WSM. If space is an issue, an electric doesn't require you to have bags of charcoal. http://www.pbase.com/scottbergerphoto/image/158467085
An electric requires you to have an electrical outlet nearby and you need to think about where you are going to store it to protect the controller. I have a Cookshack SMO45 and a WSM 18.5. http://www.pbase.com/scottbergerphoto/image/158467082
I mostly use the WSM because I enjoy the process. In addition, an electric will not give you a smoke ring in the meat if that is important to you. As far as taste, I think that's more a function of your seasoning and wood choice. So basically it comes down to do you enjoy the process of cooking as much as the end result or are you only interested in the final result.
Best regards,
Scott
http://www.pbase.com/scottbergerphoto/smoker_shed_project

Last edited:
Joe, do as I did, get both, the Smokin-it#2 I use for long overnight smoke and when I'm just lazy, the WSM can do low and slow or hot n fast, good luck with your choices, both give great food...

Like ScottyB I have a WSM and a Cookshack. He pretty much nailed it although butt in the Cookshack is far easier and well, the smoke ring ain't no deal breaker for me there since I shred it. I would never do a prime rib in the electric though; that is far better on the WSM. Ribs are great either way and interestingly the electric is a bit more of a dry heat so I think it does dry ribs better. The other thing about electric is that it is way easier to do a cold smoke - assuming you get the cold smoke tray. Horses for courses! Get 'em both! :)

But don't get some cheap one - they are crap. Which means you are looking at 600-1000 bucks for a good PID controlled electrical smoker.

A guy that I used to work with used to make great smoked chicken on a cheapo electric smoker. Given the choice I like using a WSM better.
It just works for me. Buy both if you have the room. If you settle on one over the other you can always sell the other one.

Nothing wrong with an electric smoker.
It just depends on what you want.
If messing with fire/charcoal is fun the WSM or an egg cooker is a great way to go.
If fire is a nuisance electric gets the job done.

I initially thought I wanted a top tier stick burner, even drove down to Houston to visit several builders. The cookers were fantastic, the business owners were great folk. As much as my heart wanted that kind of cooker my head knew that I didn't want to be stuck babysitting a stick burner. I love my WSM I recommend it whole heartedly....but you are the one that has to decide what type of cooking will make you happy.

Oh yeah, I will echo to get a good cooker which ever way you go.
The WSMs are pricey compared to the Brinkman offerings, but there is a huge difference between the two.
Buy something that will not cause problems and will actually work like it's supposed to.

Last edited:
I sold my masterbuilt electric smoker and used the money to buy a WSM. I have never been disappointed I made the switch. The only more time consuming part of the WSM is lighting the thing. Once you get get temp control dialed it is really easy. I have zero plans to go back to an electric or switch to a nice offset.

Just to be a sophist, a Masterbuilt is kinda low end. Poor temp reg and low quality construction.

Yea it was on the lower end but I never had temp issues. I always had an ambient temp probe and temps were pretty stable. In some cases I would say more stable than WSM because you didn't have to worry about wind gusts! For a beginner that wants electric and trying to save some cash I would recommend it. For a more serious guy you can def pay more for better quality.

A buddy of mine bought a Masterbuilt Tommy and he said it was a POS. Litereally threw it in the trash but it might have been him. My Cookshack is rock solid. I think I would build my own now if I was doing it again. A PID controller, some relays and therms and an old bar fridge.

I can attest an electric definitely has it's advantages. Started with Kettles, then a WSM 18" which btw was ace. Got tired of the clean and startup. In 06 picked up a Cookshack 55. As stated earlier, if you want to cook and not watch, these are the way to go. There could be a snowstorm raging but as long as you have hydro you are golden. The quality of the food is excellent, but they are a dedicated smoker that works well only for low temp cooking. If you like crispy Chicken, these are not for you, imho. I'm an empty nester and don't need to do so much large cooking now. I have the time to spend, and with the 14.5, to me it's just the perfect size = easy clean and less charcoal burn. I'm still working to find the one best setup. :) Along with the Cookshack I have the aforementioned 14.5" WSM, a new Jumbo Joe = aces!, Smokey Joe Silver and Go anywhere charcoal. All of the comments posted on the advantages of both are right on.

Dave

Last edited:
Just pulled 15 lbs off the Cookshack in preparation for Xmas. I was run ragged and and I created yet another pulled pork masterpiece with little effort. I do truly enjoy the WSM. but not right now....

Burning charcoal is going to give off gases that an electric element won't. If you read Meathead's "science" on the matter at amazingribs.com it makes sense.

Burning charcoal is going to give off gases that an electric element won't. If you read Meathead's "science" on the matter at amazingribs.com it makes sense.

Yup - true that. Some folks with electrics even put briquettes in them. But the issue is convenience vs true BBQ.

I have WSMs, and a Smokin-It #3 electric smoker. I cant think of anything negative really about either cooker, they are awesome. I have only had the Smokin-It briefly, so maybe that will change. I did have a masterbuilt for a while, and it made some really good food. It was low quality though, and I ended up dumping it because it would not heat up in the winter. I have to say, the quality is very similar between food cooked over a charcoal fire, and electric. My wife actually prefers the electric. I just like the convenience when its really cold out, so I will keep using both, depending on how much time I have to cook.

I bought a used High Mountain Prime Rib & Jerky Oven that was sold through QVC. Got a screaming good deal on it along with a Metro cart, cover, jerky racks and a bunch of cures. Its a Cookshack Smokette 008 with 3 grates. Also have two 22" WSM's one of which has the Pellet Pro WSM Stacker conversion. They all have their advantages, and you still have to master them.

A buddy of mine bought a Masterbuilt Tommy and he said it was a POS. Litereally threw it in the trash but it might have been him. My Cookshack is rock solid. I think I would build my own now if I was doing it again. A PID controller, some relays and therms and an old bar fridge.

I used mine for about a year and a half and wanted to get into real BBQ with charcoal and wood. Masterbuilt is not a high end cooker but I never had any issues. I did get rid of it to trade up to a WSM so I guess it didn't do everything I wanted!

Tommy,

I noticed you are in Plano TX. In the heat of the Texas summer, how does the WSM do? Do you struggle to keep the heat low?

Tommy,

I noticed you are in Plano TX. In the heat of the Texas summer, how does the WSM do? Do you struggle to keep the heat low?

Hey joe. I have never had a problem with heat. I do find myself lighting less coals to start but no temp too high issues. When hot I normally put a little extra water in the water pan as well. In that Houston humidity I bet you do not even have to use water to keep the inside on the cooker moist!

Back