New build with a IMUSA 32qt tamale pot...

Earl P (BamZipPow)

TVWBB Member
Using most of the knowledge on this board, I started a new mini build. I'm not painting this one as I need to test a few paint schemes first. I would like to thank all the previous builders fer their knowledge! Cost of this build was just under $80. :D

Using CaseT's approach to the lid (and Mickey M's quest fer piccies), I re-purposed the IMUSA tamale pot lid on the base. I cut the diffuser supports from the lid scrap and sandwiched it between the new base and the bottom of the pot using self tapping screws. I made the top fer the ash vent can from the remaining lid scrap. I still have to tie it together on the charcoal grate. I turned the grate over since it will fit better. I also noticed that the charcoal grate doesn't sag in the center with the ash can support.

I massaged the pot rim with my Quick Grip bar clamp with one rubber pad removed (on the outside of the lip) until the Smokey Joe lid fit snugly. The key was taking yer time! After cutting a slot on the lip fer the temperature probe wire, the lip relaxed a little more and the lid fits very nicely and not snug at all.

I had a new Old Smokey 3" thermometer dial that I installed just below the top grate screw. This hides the grate support screw from the front.

I put the nickel coated grate on the bottom and the 18" Weber charcoal grate on top since the charcoal grate is easier to lift out.

I went with three bolts fer the grate support since tri-supports don't wobble. I used the legs on the bowl (after it was assembled) to mark my points fer the supports. I set my tape measure to 4" (just below the handle rivets) and locked the tape in. This was to ensure that my marks would be consistent. I made my marks with a pencil and made sure they were where I wanted the grate support bolts to be. I used a #8 self tapping screw to make my holes and then screwed in the stainless steel #8-32 x 1/2" bolts into the pot. I used 2 stainless steel nuts to lock the bolt in place.

I still have the knobs to install fer the upper and lower vents as well as building an upper vent diverter to keep the lid handle clean. I'm thinking about building a thermometer support stand that locks in place on one of the handles so one isn't always looking fer a place to put the thermometer unit.

I was asked to build this fer a friend who's gonna give it to her husband fer Christmas. I guess I'll be going over to teach him how everything works... ;)

Last edited:
I was asked to build this fer a friend who's gonna give it to her husband fer Christmas. I guess I'll be going over to teach him how everything works... ;)
I made one for a friend, that's the last time I'm gonna do that. He likes it an all, but he's always bugging me how to run it. After a while, you get tired of it and just want to take the mini back :)

Looks great, nice gift! I like your take on the ash diffuser. Will like to know how it ends up working with the openings going all the way down.

I made one for a friend, that's the last time I'm gonna do that. He likes it an all, but he's always bugging me how to run it. After a while, you get tired of it and just want to take the mini back :)

Well...you just need to "charge" more. A few steaks and I'm sure he'll git the idea it would be worth more to learn on his own than buying yer meat fer you. ;)

I just picked up an older Smokey Joe with the wooden handle (letter "N" on the upper grill vent) on top locally fer $10 and another new IMUSA pot from Walmart fer $20. Seems the build on these pots are inconsistent as the lip is the perfect diameter fer any of Smokey Joe lids I currently have on hand (three different models)...even the new build mentioned in this thread. I did notice that the nickel plated grill will not fit in the newest pot though. Guess I'll have to to git two 18.5" charcoal grates or try swapping some of the nickel plated grills around and see what fits on the bottom rack. :rolleyes:

So you might need to bring yer Smokey Joe lid with you to try out on all the IMUSA pots in the store just to make sure to find the one that will fit without any crimping. Good luck! :D

Back