Philly Cheese on the 670 with DIY Griddles

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been wanting to try my own Philly cheese sandwiches after watching the two demonstrations on YouTube using the Mojoe Griddle.

Onions and peppers with a little canola oils and S&P

I like them cooked way down. I don't like big chunks or chewy.

Sirloin was on sale...still $10lb! Pile on right is seasoned with Paula Dean's house seasoning, the pile on the left was Steak and Shakes house seasoning.
Banked onions and peppers on right, turned burners off on that side..

Buns warming and slightly toasting. Wok lid and a little water around the meat to steam melt the cheese, works great!

Pic blurred...hard to keep up with the pace of everything happening and snap a quick pic

Some with Munster, some with provolone and some with both...
Lighting near grill is bad...

All in all, not bad. I think it need some stronger flavors on the meat. The wifey really like it. I think I may prefer good ole merican cheese, instead, too.

Realativy cheap (6 sandwiches), certainly quick and the mess is outside...

Sirloin for steak sammiches is (IMO) overkill. Most local places (I'm in the 'burbs, but work in Philly and have had more than my fair share of Philly cheesesteaks) use very thinly sliced top or bottom round, sold in the few Italian shops near me as "chip steak" or "sandwich steak". A few of the ritzier places use thin-sliced rib eye. I have no idea what the rate is these days for chip steak; last time I bought any was 2-3 years ago and I think it was around $3 or $4/lb. then.

Nevertheless, those do look mighty tasty. I'm a fan of American cheese or provolone, but for true Philadelphians (such as my wife), "whiz" is the cheese of choice. Sorry, but I'm not going to take any kind of real meat and slather on some chemically-conjured, nuclear-yellow "cheese topping".

Good info on the quality of meat. I didn't want to shortcut the first time and ribeye was more expensive. Being cut thin, would you guys think lean or something with a little more fat?

Another great cook with your DIY griddles Jeff, I watched cooks country this weekend and they did philly steaks and they used skirt steak, froze it and sliced it thin, yours look great.

Good info on the quality of meat. I didn't want to shortcut the first time and ribeye was more expensive. Being cut thin, would you guys think lean or something with a little more fat?

A bit of fat always helps, but if it's sliced thinly enough (1/16" or so) and across the grain, it's not really needed. If it's really lean, just drizzle with a bit of veg. or olive oil before it hits the pan.

As the meat is essentially shaved, you could use just about any cut of meat that you want. I actually try to avoid using ribeye for sandwiches as there's too much concentrated fat in it. I use sirloin tip, top, bottom or eye of round, whatever is on sale for $4 or less per pound around here. Just be sure that you cut across the grain when slicing/shaving the meat.

Looks very good to me and I vote for the cheese whiz. Every show I've ever seen of supposed "real" philly cheese steaks the cheese is melted and poured over the meat. Something is just wrong with sliced cheese on phillys.

Love me a good Philly Cheesesteak. I have never tried them on the grill, but I also don't have a griddle for my grill. I have the Grill Grates which can be flipped, but they have holes, so that wouldn't work. I do have a griddle pan for inside, and that's where I have made mine in the past.

As for the meat, there is a meat market around the corner from my subdivision. I ask for ribeye sliced as thin as they can make it. I usually get several pounds worth at one time, and then will individually bag up several sandwiches worth and freeze them. I don't mind a little fat in my steak.

For the cheese, I usually go with shredded Mozz cheese and mix it into the meat and veggies until it a a delicious, gooey mess.

Back