restyle WSM

George P

TVWBB Member
I recently got a WSM22.5 for a present. Thank you Thank you. It is great. The only thing I would change is the way the lids fits into the cooking section. After one cook it started raining and I left the smoker out in the rain and it filled with water. I have left our weber kettle in the rain no problem. The WSM lid fits into the cooking section where as the kettle lid fits over the bottom section, water doesn't leak in. I wish the WSM lid fit the same way.

George, Welcome to our Backyard... our grillin' smokin' all-around fun house!

Concerning your complaint, IF Weber design the cover to fit OVER the bottom section LIKE your grill.... what do you think would happen?

Yep, all that sooty and greasy build-up would eventually drip OUTSIDE your NEW WSM22.5 smoker and drip all over your deck, sidewalk or driveway (or wherever you smoke all that great meat you smoke)

To PREVENT the rain from entering your NEW 22.5WSM, use an EXTRA large plastic bag over it THEN cover EVERYTHING with your NEW 22.5WSM cover.
Works like a CHARM!

I went one better especially for cooking in the rain. I took my picnic table umbrella and put in some PVC to hold it and it covers whatever WSM I am cooking with.

P8020089_zps84762fa3.jpg

P8020086_zps17a7d4c7.jpg

P8020079_zps0b1c7ec6.jpg

P8020084_zpsfb8b5cad.jpg

Before I had room to store my cookers in-doors, I would turn the center section upside down before putting the cover on. This prevented any water that leaked through the cover from getting into the WSM.
The garbage bag trick works really well too.

Last edited:
George, Welcome to our Backyard... our grillin' smokin' all-around fun house!

Concerning your complaint, IF Weber design the cover to fit OVER the bottom section LIKE your grill.... what do you think would happen?
Yep, all that sooty and greasy build-up would eventually drip OUTSIDE your NEW WSM22.5 smoker and drip all over your deck, sidewalk or driveway (or wherever you smoke all that great meat you smoke)

To PREVENT the rain from entering your NEW 22.5WSM, use an EXTRA large plastic bag over it THEN cover EVERYTHING with your NEW 22.5WSM cover.
Works like a CHARM!

I beg to differ - besides the pos aluminum door and cheap thermometer, the design of the lid and center section suck.

The Cajun Bandit Kettle conversion and the Stackers I use don't have any issues with grease dripping over the sides.

just sayin'!

I beg to differ - besides the pos aluminum door and cheap thermometer, the design of the lid and center section suck.

The Cajun Bandit Kettle conversion and the Stackers I use don't have any issues with grease dripping over the sides.

just sayin'!
Well, as long as you're "just sayin' " Brian.... :D

Brian, anytime you decide you can't handle all the design flaws, just send me a PM and I'll give you my address and and you can send it to me. ;)

Jeez! I'm not drinkin' the Kool-Aide like the rabid Eggheads that banned me and I'm not givin' up my 22" bullets.....especially the pellet poopin' WSM!

But hey! did Weber not redesign the new Rotisserie ring so that it rests on top of the bowl instead of inside, eliminating the gap??

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56383-Got-me-a-rotisserie&p=624384&viewfull=1#post624384

Always room for improvement.

I'll keep you guys in mind if I decide to sell!

just sayin'!

Last edited:
...I'm not givin' up my 22" bullets.....especially the pellet poopin' WSM!
Yay! :D
Brian, just yankin' the chain...
I know nothing about the other words you speak, nor do I care to, but you're a favourite here, one of my first buddies since I found this joint....
and i'll agree with you on the some design flaws, but I keep in mind that GOD did not make the Weber.
Only his humans did.
So I forgive and compromise. :)

The nice thing about any perceived flaws in the Webers is that they give us a reason to tinker and accessorize! And thanks to Cajun Bandit and others we are able to modify and improve our grills and smokers to make them ours and to perform better. A big part of the fun I receive from being part of this forum is the ideas and modifications I read about that have been done by others, and of course the posts of successful cooks with pictures is a crowd pleaser also, that's what I'm--- just sayin!

Back