My Browns mini 2.0 - New mods

John Wheeler

TVWBB Pro
So after a test run and one spatched bird later, I've made a few tweaks to the mini. Let's see how well they work this time around. Lol.

First, I started by taking about 5" off the total height of my drum. I forgot to take a pic of this part, but I notched all around the bottom of the drum and gave all the tabs a slight tweak inwards. It made the slip fit to the bowl much more user friendly. I will still be doing the latch mod here soon.

Next, was a do-over for my atc mount and intake system. I basically made four, "air sprinklers" and threaded them into the existing air holes.

Here they are mounted. Two have more air flow and two have less. They are placed opposite each other. In theory, the air should blow against each other essentially created a low pressure zone in the middle, diffusing any direct up or down air flow. Hopefully equalling little to no ash blowing around. This design also allows for maximum ash capacity. No can taking up space.

Under the grate.

Here is how I mounted my fan for my atc. Removed the ash catcher. Used the existing legs and a longer bolt to hold the dog bowl in place. This also makes it easy to remove mid cook if th fan ever dies. Then it's back to the factory four inlets.

Oops. Meant to hit preview, not post. Lol. Back to bizness...

Intake installed.

I added handles to my cooking grate. Took them from a repurposed 22 1/2" grate I used for the charcoal grate mod.

Also did the notch mod for my probes.

It fits in the Subaru better now too! Lol.

Back home after a little "cosmetic surgery"!

Ocd! Wanted the rib in the middle of the barrel to be in the middle of the cooker. Symmetry lol. And it's now closer in size to the 14 1/2" WSM. That and I wanted to move the deflector up higher and a smaller overall area for hh chicken cooks. Still having trouble keeping the heats up. I think a charcoal basket will help. More air around the coals. Might use hh tape around the dog bowl too. Just an excuse to tinker I guess. Really nice lil cooker tho. Very pleased.

Ocd! Wanted the rib in the middle of the barrel to be in the middle of the cooker. Symmetry lol. And it's now closer in size to the 14 1/2" WSM. That and I wanted to move the deflector up higher and a smaller overall area for hh chicken cooks. Still having trouble keeping the heats up. I think a charcoal basket will help. More air around the coals. Might use hh tape around the dog bowl too. Just an excuse to tinker I guess. Really nice lil cooker tho. Very pleased.

Your charcoal basket will help, but I think that some of it is all of the other stuff you have going on there, restricting air flow. I know that you are using forced air but I've found no real need for it. With the two side vents and the standard SMJ Silver lower vent I can achieve temps over 500°, Closer to a 1000° with the Mini-ZA.

Another note is you mention using a deflector. Is that between the fire and the food? When doing High temp poultry I go with out any type of deflector.

Mini za is an open top vent allowing a mass air draw from the bottom. That's why the mini za gets so hot. I guarantee I have more air flow than a tuna can! I'm also using the last of my summer stock of charcoal. Been in my performer bin. Could be questionable. Also no heat deflector during my chicken cooks.

Mini za is an open top vent allowing a mass air draw from the bottom. That's why the mini za gets so hot. I guarantee I have more air flow than a tuna can! I'm also using the last of my summer stock of charcoal. Been in my performer bin. Could be questionable. Also no heat deflector during my chicken cooks.

Yes that is why the Mini-ZA gets as hot as it does. But even with the normal pot I still have no problems achieving temps over 500° (with or without the charcoal basket) just using the two 3/4" side vents and the lower vent.

I just finished using Charcoal I bought two years ago, dry stored in the bag in the garage. We have low humidity so here it keeps pretty good.

Back