Is it worth adding a charcoal ring/chamber to the mini?

Mickey M

Closed Account
I'm thinking of adding a charcoal ring/holder/chamber (you get the idea, I'm sure) to the lower grate of my mini where the loose charcoal sits.

I know some of you have already tried it.

Did you like it?

Do you still have it?

What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

It might be a help with a SJ Gold because of the vents on the sides to keep them from getting plugged up with ash. I have a silver SJ and use a can that comes up to the bottom of the charcoal grate to keep the ash out so I don't use one so I can get more coals in the bottom.

I have a silver and I feel the sides of my mini got too hot. I'm going to make one just so there's a lil room between the sharcoals and the cooker. Also to help maintain airflow for hh cooks. I'll post it when I'm done along w the rest of my round 2 mods.

I have a silver and I feel the sides of my mini got too hot. I'm going to make one just so there's a lil room between the sharcoals and the cooker. Also to help maintain airflow for hh cooks. I'll post it when I'm done along w the rest of my round 2 mods.

Cool. Thanks, John.

I can say that it helps to have a charcoal basket. The first year I had my Mini I didn't have one and I drug my feet building one. Wish I had built one right out of the gate. Temps are easier to maintain and fuel efficiency increased. The first one I made using the charcoal grate and expanded steel (1'x2' sheet from Lowes) wired together with rebar wire tie. My second one I welded. The only thing I'd different is to add expanded steel to the bottom to create smaller holes which would help retain smaller coals to get a more complete burn.

Version one:

8553858876_ae0c2175c9_b.jpg

Welded version 2:

9732419332_c7b567c7ff_b.jpg

Loaded for a 12+ hour burn (actually got 14 hours @ 265°)

14856901673_7e439aac4a_b.jpg

Works good for searing all the coals condensed and cozy:

9546276333_77c6e4418b_b.jpg

I have a Gold and built a charcoal basket out of expanded metal. Works great is the smokey mini but I also use it for short or low temp cooks in my 18.5 WSM. I did not attach the bottom of the basket to the charcoal grate.

Sorry for the poor pic but this is the little basket in my 18.5. I was reverse searing steaks and had them on the smoker for about an hour at 185 degrees.

Back