Best Minion Method

KenB

TVWBB Fan
What is the best minion method? Dumping hot coals on unlit coals and spreading the lit evenly on the full surface of unlit, using The Soo donut or dumping a pile of lit in the center of the unlit?

I fill the fire ring full of briquettes around an old 3# coffee can with both ends cut out, I dump 2/3 chimney of lit coals in the can and then pull it.
Depending on the length of the cook I choke off the fire and reuse any left over charcoal.
Don't know if this is best or not but it helps me be consistent.

Yes! All of the above! Try them all and see what you like the best. One style might work better in a different environment than another, depending on where you live, wind, elevation, etc... Use that as an excuse to cook more! :)

I like to dump a concentrated pile of lit in the middle of the pile. I think of it as my little nuclear core. That ensures that the fire doesn't die out. Very similar to the coffee can method, but I just don't think you need that much lit or that much effort to get a good fire going. Leave an indentation in the center and pour 10 - 20 lit in a pile and you're good to go.

I saw this at the Home Depot the other day: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Modern-Leisure-No-Flip-Charcoal-Starter-7231/204393985. Basically, instead of the wire cone in the bottom, it's got sort of a wire shelf with a leg that holds it up while it's on a flat surface.

No, it's not a Weber chimney, so maybe it's not compatible with their grills/smokers :rolleyes:, but it seems to me it'd make replicating the coffee can method stupid easy. You place the chimney on the charcoal grate, put your starter (paper, cubes, whatever) in the bottom, load some briquettes on top and light it. While it's getting started, you fill in around it with the rest of your charcoal. Then, when the flames are licking the top of the chimney, you just lift it out, leaving the lit coals in the middle. If I didn't already have two 100% compatible chimneys, I'd be tempted to try it out.

I like to spread my lit over the top of unlit. That way I know I've got heat coming up from all over instead of from one small spot

I use the tin can in the middle and depending which one I'm using the mini or the 18.5 will determine how many lit coals I'll use. Has worked well for me so I haven't tried any others.

What is the best minion method? Dumping hot coals on unlit coals and spreading the lit evenly on the full surface of unlit, using The Soo donut or dumping a pile of lit in the center of the unlit?

What this guy says. I use a 28oz Bush's bean can in my mini-WSM. I built a little chimney out of it using a church key and a piece of expanded metal.
photo.php

I have three of the smaller smokers (see my signature) and I have come to prefer the consistent quality of using the "tin can" Minion Method. I vary the amount of coals depending on which smoker I use. I have never had ANY problem with using this method. Completely repeatable results which leaves me to concentrate on the particular dish I am working with (ribs, Boston Butts, Chicken, etc).

When I do chicken (I LOVE chicken, too:rolleyes:) I have come to prefer the HOT & FAST method in this web site's Technique panel as offered by Chris) - no water pan and use the top grate, only, for wonderful, tender, juicy, and crisp skin chicken. LOVE IT!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I use a weed burner now days for start up, have a good feel how much I need to light.
Having followed your methods, as posted years ago, I find it interesting your move to a weed burner.
Have used both the center and the top load, which I use currently.
Guess I'm still stuck in your old ways ;)

Bob

Fill the charcoal basket with KBB, light a small section (three or four briquettes wide) with the Flame Thrower. I usually light the center, but if I am going to be using the Pitmaster IQ120, I will light the coals right in front of the vent the IQ is connected to...

I use a weed burner now days for start up, have a good feel how much I need to light.

Doesn't that make the weed burner THE Minion method?;)

I've tried several different ways and didn't see any noticeable difference. Do whatever you find easiest.

This thread illustrates something that flat out sticks in my craw - the "Best" of anything. It is obvious from reading all of the above posts that there are many "good" ways of doing this - and that pretty much applies to most of what we do.

I intend no criticism of anyone on this thread, including the original poster - just a comment on the use of the word "best" (which presupposes that any other way is less than...).

"What's the best car?" "What's the best town to live in?" --- You get the idea...

Just a thought:rolleyes:...

Keep on smokin',

This thread illustrates something that flat out sticks in my craw - the "Best" of anything. It is obvious from reading all of the above posts that there are many "good" ways of doing this - and that pretty much applies to most of what we do.

I intend no criticism of anyone on this thread, including the original poster - just a comment on the use of the word "best" (which presupposes that any other way is less than...).

"What's the best car?" "What's the best town to live in?" --- You get the idea...

Just a thought:rolleyes:...

Keep on smokin',

I agree there is no "best" method. Just looking for a repeatable method to achieve consistent temp with my coals. Doing ribs and pork shoulder this weekend. Just picked up 40 pounds of KBB. Tried a fattie in the rain tonight but couldn't get the fire going good enough. I'll cook the fattie in the morning, I love this stuff. Great to have a another hobby since the fishing season is over.

I dump the lit coals on top of the pile. I used the center can method for a while but didn't seem to make a big difference.
I think your start method should be compatible with how you position your smoke wood. If you dump a chunk on top of the center lit coals then the can is probably good. In my case I bury a few chunks in the charcoal tray. When I dump the lit on top it starts to consume the coals under it in the basket and the smoke wood along with it. If you bury your smoke wood in the coal basket the center can method may not light the coals around your smoke wood for some time until the fire spreads out. The meat will be partially cooked and you lose some smoke time. So do it the same for consistency and think about how you place the smoke wood too. All are good methods.

Back