High heat mod for my 18.5...need ideas/advice

Ok, I had one hell of a time this year doing the turkey on the WSM, my Wife got me a 14.5 WSM for my Birthday, and it's just the two of us, I haven't touched the 18.
I would like to mod it for high heat poultry cooks.
I know that isn't what it's made for, and I should just buy a Kettle, but we live in an apartment and the porch is cramped already, and either a Big Poppa UDS or a Pit Barrel is next on my priority list if I was to add to.
Any advice is much appreciated.

I place a skewer between the lid and center section to hit higher temps. I've hear of folks putting in another lid vent.

BTW, if you get the expandable cooking rack for your 18" you can do PBC-style cooks saving space on your apartment porch. I've hung turkey, and chickens in my 22.5" with the rack at high heat as well as snack sticks and summer sausage low n slow.

If you use a dry foiled water pan I would think an 18" WSM loaded with a full fire ring of briquettes and started with a full chimney of lit briquettes poured across the top of the bed it should easily achieve 325+ with all the vents open.

Some same sized WSM's run cooler/hotter than others, why, I have no idea, but they do.
Flip the door over, crack the lid or add another top vent are a few ways. I don't own an ATC but have read they are also useful for HH cooks.
Besides using an empty foiled pan, you could add a clay saucer or sand. Once that mass heats up, it starts releasing heat and can aide in trying to get HH temps.

Tim

If you use a dry foiled water pan I would think an 18" WSM loaded with a full fire ring of briquettes and started with a full chimney of lit briquettes poured across the top of the bed it should easily achieve 325+ with all the vents open.

I've used a full ring unlit and 1/2 chimney of lit with a dry foiled water pan and easily gone over 350 degrees, even with vents partly closed. I clean my 18" WSM every 6 months or so to eliminate the gunk that "seals" the air gaps, so that might be why I can get the higher temps Michael is looking for. Michael, you might want to search for the "door prop mod" that I've seen on this site for extra air flow.

Thanks for the advice so far, it didn't dawn on me (because I haven't done WSM turkey in a few years) that, this always happened to me, and I would have to rig my Eastman turkey-fryer propane burner element in through the door of the smoker with a foil pouch of smoke wood.
Don't know what it is, I used 4 chimneys of lump, did the door prop, tried the lid propped up just a hair, etc.

Fill your charcoal ring with 2 chimneys of lit coals. Cook on the lower grate. Take out the water pan. All vents fully open. You'll easily getup to 300-350. If the food starts to burn/cook too fast, move it to the upper grate. I have a Pit Barrel. Haven't gotten the great flavors I've expected. I think that's because I just don't care for the Pit Barrel rubs. Will try some of my other rubs next time. But the PBC is a great cooker and Noah & Amber (owners) couldn't be nicer. Also, we gotta keep in mind, that the WSM is designed for Low & Slow cooking you can get the PBC up to really hot temps by cracking the lid just a bit. My advice is to buy a Weber Kettle when you can. Hope all your cooks are amazing!

Last edited:
I don't have good pictures yet but i have added 1 lid vent and 2 intake vents to my 18.5". I start with 2 chimneys of lump and kbb lit, then some extra unlit underneath. Over the holiday weekend i smoked 4 turkeys, two at a time, and was able to hold 350F with the birds on, and got over 525F before adding the meat. When i cracked the lid with a skewer i could hit 375F. This was done with a dry Piedmont pan.

I can't wait to try some chicken pieces in it with everything wide open.

Thanks again for the advice guys!
I'm in a tinkering mood and Paul, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

I'll never get rid of my WSM's, but I am jonesing to build a UDS for for party cooks and hanging big batches of jerky, so I think I'm gonna ask for a Big Poppa kit for Christmas :)

Last edited:

Back