Newer WSM, Top grate not sitting on all 4 contact points

JRogers

This was my third cook on my 18" WSM, and right before I put the turkey on, I noticed the water bowl had a hard time sitting in the center section of the unit (it actually fell off the first time I put it in). I managed to get it situated, then as soon as I put the top grate on with the turkey, the grate fell off the little tabs it sits on. I had a tough time getting it to stay on the tabs with the turkey. It seems like the middle section has grown! I'm attaching a couple pictures that may help explain. Any suggestion on a fix? Thanks!

Top picture shows how far it is away from the tab when the others are securely on their own tabs.

IMG_6869.JPG

IMG_6870.JPG

Hi J, I have a newer 18 WSM and have the similar situation. My grate on the WSM came worped. I'm not at home right now so I can't post any pics, but I also have an 18 OTS grill with a hinged grate like you see on the 22's. The hinged grate is a better fit, no fabrication required! Hope this helps you a little bit.

If the water pan AND the top cooking grate don't fit, your WSM could be out of round (mine was when I got it). Measure the diameter in several places. The measurements should all be the same.

Thank you all for the replies. It's definitely out of round, so I was able to squeeze the sides a little and that seemed to help a little. I'll still have to add the washers to push the tabs in, but that should solve it. Couldn't be happier with the smoker. Thanks again.

Thank you all for the replies. It's definitely out of round, so I was able to squeeze the sides a little and that seemed to help a little. I'll still have to add the washers to push the tabs in, but that should solve it. Couldn't be happier with the smoker. Thanks again.

I had a similar issue when I first got my WSM. Then I noticed that the top and bottom grill grates are two different sizes. They have two different part numbers. Is it possible you tried to use the lower grate (smaller) on top?

Last edited:
I had a similar issue when I first got my WSM. Then I noticed that the top and bottom grill grates are two different sizes. They have two different part numbers. Is it possible you tried to use the lower grate (smaller) on top?

No, it's definitely warped. I put some washers in and it fits perfectly now. Thanks.

I once dropped my water bowl and bent the heck out of it. I ended up just muscling it back to as round as possible.

Back