BBQ Guru

J E Rice

TVWBB Member
Just did my first turkey on my WSM18 using the ParyQ, could not get the guru temp to get near the dome temp or the temp measured right below the grate, dome read 350, below grate read 320, guru reading 260, I know that the probe of the guru near the meat on the grate will read lower, but almost 100deg just ain't right, any ideas where I might have gone wrong?

Something isn't right. Try moving your probe to the second grate and see if you get a change. Take your probe and check it in boiling water

Thanks, good advice, cooks over with, turkey came out excellent. Only changed probe position on top grate, I guess I'll do the boiling water check before next try, seems like some of the gadgets that suppose to make things easier do just the opposite............:wsm:.............at 3:20 did the boiling water test, thing settled in at 169 deg at rolling boil, believe that might be the problem, now I gotta figure out where I bought it.

Last edited:
Good thing is we know it's the probe and not the brain. Easy fix. Just give yourself a early xmas present and buy the upgrade pack. thicker wire and goes out to 10foot

I've already emailed firecraft and BBQ Guru folks to see what they say about the situation. Shouldn't have to get any upgrade if the stuff is made right, seems like more and more things are like that.........substandard. Ain't no biggie, I can cook fine without it, but for $145 it does tend to chap my arse!

I've already emailed firecraft and BBQ Guru folks to see what they say about the situation. Shouldn't have to get any upgrade if the stuff is made right, seems like more and more things are like that.........substandard. Ain't no biggie, I can cook fine without it, but for $145 it does tend to chap my arse!

I just ordered one from Yardandpool.com (had the best price/deal on the PartyQ), so I'll be sure to check the calibration before trying it on a cook. Thankfully, if something's wrong, I'm literally less than 3 miles from the manufacturer's location, so I can drive over and complain if necessary. ;)

Back