anyone a member of the SCBA?

Cee El

TVWBB Super Fan
That's the South Carolina Barbecue Association. I'm thinking of applying for membership and was wondering if there were any board members formerly or currently involved. Thanks.

Charles in SC

I'm a member but not a board member. You will find some very nice folks involved with the SCBA. We just had our last competition for the year last weekend. Feel free to ask me any questions about the SCBA.

Thanks for the replies. Just wondering if it was worth doing. I'm a backyard bbqer. My wife's grandparents are members. I'm interested in joining but so far I've held out.

Cee El, I think you need to figure out what you want to get out of and contribute to the SCBA before you become a member. I did it for 2 reasons: support bbq in SC and competitions.

Those are really good reasons, Doug. My main reason for joining would be to mostly meet like-minded folks and maybe learn a thing or two. I don't drink anymore though, and while I'm not saying I couldn't control myself, all the red solo cups I've seen at comps give me pause. Maybe I'll stay a Backyardigan. We'll see.

Cee El, been awhile since I logged in. Most of the people would be willing to assist you if you had questions...there is always that one or two that will not though. Yep, the red solo cups are there but most of the cookers are not heavy drinkers and do not drink to excess. You will always find that new, young (sometimes no so young) team that will get rowdy during a comp. Most of us will pay a visit to the team causing issues and have a nice friendly talk. I have met and made so many friends doing bbq comps! The only way to know if it's right for you is to give it a shot, come to the comps and hang out with the cookers. my email is bdquinn@yahoo.com if you would like to hang out with us sometime.

Back